normal for red empress?

MarkoD

do you know if its been cross bred with anything??. it seems to be color morphing. i would just wait it out. im not sure if its the same as the taiwan reef.. they do not color up unless there is a female present. if the fish is very youg then its beause its not mature. i would just give it some time.

someone else chime in...

I have a super red empress and the face looks different to me. I'm not sure if there is a difference there in the super vs the not super but i'm thinking that there is cross breeding problems. OB Peacock is what i would have thought if not for the face which is different. Good luck with your mystry. Try googling pictures and see what comes up.

Good luck

L

I have had super red empress for a long time and the picture is definitely not that of a pure line bred. I have never seen one ever turn blotchy like this. Blue color in the males starts at @ 3" in the face and gill plates and then the blue and red works its way back through the body and fins. By the time they are 3 1/2 to 4" they have the full body coloration of a super red. Some males may have some partial dark stripe lines above the lateral line but never below it and never blothes. The females stay silver with a black stripe on the lateral line.

There are a few decent pictures of males on cichlid-forum.com in the profile section - scroll down the Lake Malawi haplochromine menu to protomelas taeniolatus red.