What to feed my betta

Boldmaid

Hi, I am trying to find something my betta will eat, I have tried a few kinds of pellets (Tetra & Ocean Nutrition) and flakes(Tetra). The pellets he mostly spits them out, I have tried cutting them in half and he eats a few but I thught he might like a variety.

did you just get this betta? he may just be trying to con you into feeding him only the yummiest food, lol. keep trying with the pellets and flakes, he should eventually eat. don't be worried if he doesn't eat for a few days or so, bettas can go a while without food.

you could round out his diet with frozen foods. bloodworms are especially liked! but keep the frozen down to only 2 or 3 times a week, as he may start turning his nose up at anything else otherwise.

i've kept numerous bettas and the current one eats the following:

tetra crisps (crumbled up into betta bite size pieces)

frozen bloodworms

frozen spirulina brine shrimp

homemade 'critter crumb' mix - lil tiny nuggets, very much like betta pellets.

itty bitty newborn ramshorn snails

veggie flakes (Omega), but he doesn't show as much enthusiasm for them as other foods.

you could also try the freeze-dried bloodworms, but be sure to soak them in a bit of tank water first, since feeding them dry can cause problems. i used to feed the freeze-dried and didn't soak them, but have read on another forum i belong to that feeding them dry can cause constipation.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

He might not be hungry. My gang eats well and at a regular time so they know when to expect the food. They get betta pro by Ocean Nutrition, live blackworms as a treat and also like NLS foods too.They know the lights coming on mean "breakfast" so I'm greeted by many hungry fish faces. My suggestion would be not to feed him for a day or two and then see how he eats.

No, I'm not that kind of cultured!! Riverfront carries them and you keep them in water in the fridge. The water has to be changed about every second day. They're great for conditioning bettas for spawning and my other fish love them too. Just don't look in the honey container in the fridge!!!

NLS = New Life Spectrum.

and i'd get it at Nature's Corner. better to help Henry pay his bills than to line the pockets of a corporate bigwig, IMO. And if Henry doesn't have the type of NLS in stock that you want, i'm pretty sure he could order it in for ya.

there is a NLS betta formula, but i wonder if the 1mm pellets would be too big for some bettas. there is also a 0.5mm floating one that would work well.