Any ideas for Fluval Edge?

BettaVishVish

Water from an old aquarium doesn't hold much bacteria - it'd be better to pull a small bit of gravel. But, if you plant it quite heavily there's no need for a cycle - the plants take up all the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate

thumbup.gif with Jaykit. planted shrimp would look awesome. as BettaVishVish asked, would you need to cycle it for a shrimp tank?

Shrimps? hahaha I'd never thought about this seriously but now am thinking maybe that's not a bad idea.

I have half moon betta in my fluval now, I heard that's not good idea to put betta and shrimps together.

a betta's tankmates is ENTIRELY dependent on the betta's personality and whether they will tolerate anything living in the same tank as them. i have a male betta that barely tolerates the ramshorn snails that are in with him, so i don't think i'll ever have fish as tankmates with this particular betta, just to be on the safe side.

you could try the shrimp and see if your betta will be tolerant of them, but be sure to have an alternate tank to move the shrimp or the betta to, should the betta be aggressive.

is your tank planted? that will make the shrimp feel more comfortable and give them hiding spots too.

a betta's tankmates is ENTIRELY dependent on the betta's personality and whether they will tolerate anything living in the same tank as them. i have a male betta that barely tolerates the ramshorn snails that are in with him, so i don't think i'll ever have fish as tankmates with this particular betta, just to be on the safe side.

you could try the shrimp and see if your betta will be tolerant of them, but be sure to have an alternate tank to move the shrimp or the betta to, should the betta be aggressive.

is your tank planted? that will make the shrimp feel more comfortable and give them hiding spots too.

oh now.. that you mentioned about aggressive betta, I think my betta may not like the shrimps. I had seen him ate my endler :D . The 2 other endlers were also disappeared.. and he had fought with my ram.

having a small tank like the Edge for your first saltwater tank isn't the greatest idea, IMO. as we all know, water quality is harder to keep up in a smaller tank and if you are doing saltwater for the first time then i'd recommend at the very least a 20 gallon tank.

wonder how hard it would be to turn an Edge into a mini vivarium?? :hey: