i keep loosing guppies

johnyle

HI THERE,

I HAVE 36 G TANK WITH 20 GUPPIES,4 GOLD FISHES,8 PLATIES,2 SWORD FISHES,5 TETRAS,1 PLECO.

SET UP ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO.TEMP @ 27/28WATER, TESTED @ PET SMARTS EVERY WEEK , IS STABLE NOW BUT I KEEP LOOSING GUPPIES SPECIALLY FEMALES.

WHY & WHY?

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS THE PROBLEM I HAVE?

THANKS,

JOHNYLE

looks like the temperature is hotter than ideal even for the tropical fish but especially for the goldfish. Females can and will die durring or after pregnancy especially, sometimes due to complications. Someone had said that guppies had to have salt in their tanks but i'm not 100%sure on that but it could be something to look into. Don't just add salt because some of those fish don't like too much salt.

Good luck solving the mystry.

L

Sounds like you have a very large bio load in that tank.

What do you have for filtration? is the tank planted?

Are there any obvious signs of death you can see?

Do you have any air stones in the tank?

Where did you get the Guppies? Are they old?

i have 1 topfin hob,1 fluval 204 c/w couple trays of noodle in it.some floating plants,ait stone ,i added some salt in the tank 3 weels ago it seem help the fishes @ that time with that setting temp.27/28.

the fish in the botom of the tank less moving around like normal next day she loosing her balance then die sereral hours later.

some i get from the store like aquagiant some from freind.

Try lowering your temperature to between 23-25C...and I would get rehome the goldfish and refrain from adding any new fish for a few weeks.

When did you start this tank up and what did you add when you first started it up?

i will drop the temp to 25 see what will happen.

i have only 1 tank..

i have about 30 guppies & 4 gold fishes @ first.

thanks,

If the goldfish figured out that food comes from the guppies when the females drop their brood, they could be harassing the guppies. In fact, goldfish can be quite persistent in picking on other fish - in my opinion, they should be removed.

• 4 weeks later...