75G Natural Planted Dirt Tank! New Pics 3Mo Later 12/28/11

ridethespiral

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full tank shot 11/29/10! Ooh reds. Tank is ready for fish and has been for a while! 0ppm ammonia, tap water runs at ~.5ppm ammonia. Have not really been testing. Sorry for image quality :frown:

no CO2 =]

IMG_20101129_151142.jpg

Closer, a little more yellow in real life.. Current occupant, my mom's betta.

IMG_20101129_150930.jpg

IMG_20101129_151152.jpg

IMG_20101129_151159.jpg

IMG_20101129_151224.jpg

IMG_20101129_151409.jpg

IMG_20101129_010221.jpg

IMG_20101129_151717.jpg

IMG_20101129_151742.jpg

IMG_20101129_010444.jpg

Edited by ridethespiral

• 4 weeks later...

Update! :)

FISH! Got my corydoras hastatus, 3 golden oto's for algae cleanup, and the 6 synodontis petricola. Apisto's did not come, and will be waiting until jan to pickup the tetras.

12/24

Tank%20pictures%20088.jpg

compare to:

11/29

IMG_20101129_151142.jpg

Tank%20pictures%20028.jpg

Tank%20pictures%20040.jpg

Seem to be having a nutrient defeciency where the tips of the limnophilia grow in very tiny and almost like a nitrogen deficiency? ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrates are 0.. I dose some NPK and seachem flourish when I see this.

I also went ahead and purchased an eheim pro 3 2075 along with some purigen on boxing day. Oooh and got two siamese algae eaters! Tank looks really clean now, just need my hydor eth heater! over night my tank dropped to 29C from having the heat turned down.

Some pictures of my fishies from member fairdeal!

Except the Siamese algae eater

tank%20pics%2012%2027%2010%20130.jpg

Corydoras hastatus and Siamese Algae Eater

tank%20pics%2012%2027%2010%20139.jpg

SAE

tank%20pics%2012%2027%2010%20121.jpg

Cory's

tank%20pics%2012%2027%2010%20108.jpg

2 SAEs and cory hastatus shoaling together :icon_smil

Sometimes the oto's will get in on this and they all shoal and act like one big family LOL.

tank%20pics%2012%2027%2010%20118.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Plants seem to be doing great after getting over wanting to see my tank all the time :icon_twis and are now on a strict 8hr photo period. Seems that keeping the lights on for only an hour while I'm up before going to work on the weekend and having it on for another hour or so when I get back home while having the lights back to the 8hrs mon-fri.

I started off with 3 vals, planted one on each side and one in the middle. The one in the middle is going CRAZY, one to the left of it has barely done anything, and the one on the right is doing almost as good as the middle one. A runner has almost reached the very front of the tank, and is rooting next to the microsword up front. One week and it will hit the front LOL.

100_1405-1.JPG

Random plant I found after going crazy moving around plants... Cannot figure out what it is since it doesn't look like anything else and is still tiny!

1000_1303.JPG

Almost no algae! =] only one random corydoras hasborus death (out of 25 I don't consider that alarming)..... Getting another batch of fish at the end of the month or beginning of February. Excited!

Two SAEs I bought when around 2-3cm long and are growing like beasts! They've grown since this picture.

100_1321.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is the one in the second photo an apistogramma?? BTW i really like the looks of the tank. Good for you on the lack of algae in the tank. What about adding some upper level fish like some Neon tetras or Rasboras? that might help increase your nitrates enough so you don't get the mini leaves. According to my plant chart small yellow new growth leaves is actually severe nitrogen deficiency and more fish or fish food in the tank would help.

Thanks for sharing

L

Is the one in the second photo an apistogramma?? BTW i really like the looks of the tank. Good for you on the lack of algae in the tank. What about adding some upper level fish like some Neon tetras or Rasboras? that might help increase your nitrates enough so you don't get the mini leaves. According to my plant chart small yellow new growth leaves is actually severe nitrogen deficiency and more fish or fish food in the tank would help.

Thanks for sharing

L

They are Bolivian red rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirizi) still small and young so not much colour, though every day it shows more and more.

I have some Cardinal tetras in, and will be getting more since some did not make it. Needed to do a trim to get a tank shot today. Where do you see these mini leaves and small yellow growth?

bioload:

~10 Cardinal tetras

8 F1 Synodontis petricola

~20 Corydoras hastatus (at least I think! LOL, I think the petricolas may have had a snack every now and then)

4 Bolivian red rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirizi)

3 Golden otos

1 Peppered cory

2 Siamese algae eaters

that will get the nitrogen going now :)

Uncropped and untouched

100_1642.JPG

Cropped and edited. Cardinals and young rams visible :)

100_1642.JPG

• 4 months later...

Long due update indeed! Been very busy lately. This is the perfect tank for me haha.

[04/11/11]

IMAG0169.jpg

[06/29/11]

IMAG0249-1.jpg

IMAG0261.jpg

No water changes other than the few 20% ones here and there because I got paranoid. It's been well over a few months though and no deaths so I assume things are good :D

The two female rams I put in got bullied to death by the dominant ram in the tank I think. He looks like a devil with his red eyes.

I would like to move the vals on the left to the back of the tank so they don't occupy so much of the front as well as move the tiger lily somewhere else since it has grown so huge. Maybe place it behind the amazon sword. Idk.

Here's a few more pics from that same day. Just didn't have time to go through em all.

The pygmy chain sword started out as a single tiny pretty small plant.

I found the plant to the right of it floating after doing a rescape. It is unidentified and unknown :icon_ques

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

Edited by ridethespiral

• 2 months later...