FX-5 on 240gal tank

darkangel

I have decided to go with an FX-5 maybe 2 on my 240, But would like to try and plumb it into the overflows as the intake and have the output plumbed to a spraybar. I was thinking of filling the overflows with bio-balls and puting a piece of sponge on top for a pre-filter before the water goes into the filter. Can this or will it work, or am I asking for trouble. Tank stock list (I'm hoping I can get them, trying for all wild) 6 X Altum angels, 8 X Red hook silver dollars, 4 X Red streak gold severums, 12 X laser orange cories, and a few plecos to be decided on later.

I read a thread on MFK where a guy hardlined his FX5, and had the intake split and drilled in near the top with strainer baskets. The output was split into 3 and plumbed into the back as well - 2 near the bottom corners and one near center.

If you hardlined it to an overflow, I'd be nervous of air getting into the intake - at best it would make your filter loud as hell; at worst, it'd break the siphon and your filter would stop.

FX5 is so clumsy... wish they would do something about that / Mine works great however it will never be my favorite for several reasons.... the looks of the intake and output is visualy unapealing and to clean the puppy is not fun! All that said , it works very well

Edited by corrosionjerry

I agree with the intake and output. PVC is the way to go. If you have a black background, Kryolon Fusion flat black works well at keeping it hidden.

I have decided to go with an FX-5 maybe 2 on my 240, But would like to try and plumb it into the overflows as the intake and have the output plumbed to a spraybar. I was thinking of filling the overflows with bio-balls and puting a piece of sponge on top for a pre-filter before the water goes into the filter. Can this or will it work, or am I asking for trouble. Tank stock list (I'm hoping I can get them, trying for all wild) 6 X Altum angels, 8 X Red hook silver dollars, 4 X Red streak gold severums, 12 X laser orange cories, and a few plecos to be decided on later.

• 4 weeks later...