6G Fluval Edge Sw Fowlr With 10G Sump (Pic Heavy)

Cgy_Betta_Guy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah this is my first crack at a sump... works really nicely and was easier than I thought. I am planning on doing it on my planted Edge tank eventually to increase the water volume my RCS are in. There is no pressure at all on the return line since water will always seek its lowest point due to gravity.

FYI, sumps on planted tanks aren't common because the trickle down to the sump, and thru the sump, gases off a lot of CO2; however, on a small system like an Edge, you could add plenty of Carbon by dosing Excel, so not a worry in this case.

I really like your project!

thanks Jvision.

I was thinking of hiding the nano diffuser and drop checker in the sump so that the CO2 enriched water is pumped back up to the display. I have had a pressurized CO2 tank attached to my planted Edge for probably 1.5 yrs now and its still going strong since it needs such a slow trickle of CO2. Would be interesting to see how much off gassing there would be between sump and tank using 2 drop checkers. Haven't thought it through completely but I made the over flow boxes for both tanks at the same time so I only really need to get off my butt and do it. Must admit this SW tank is taking a lot of my attention though so not sure when that tank will get a makeover. :smokey:

Must start thinking of stocking... will be picking up a red fire shrimp this evening I think and I would love to find a red mandarin goby that eats anything and wouldnt mind the small quarters. Any fish suggestions out there?

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

I've read a few reports that mandrins can be trained to take prepared food out of small containers (like your crab trap! :) ). If the fish is healthy from the start, it shouldn't take too long for it to figure things out.

As for the planted Edge - you may have to add an extra bubble or 1/2 bubble per sec, but if your sump is sealed like in your SW tank, the gassed off CO2 will have nowhere to go, and would likely create an equilibrium with the water, negating the need to increase your CO2 rate, eventually. :)

Anyone up for more pictures?

20110124 - Red Fire shrimp - really like the pop of red in the tank!

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

purple fire fish

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

peppermint shrimp

IMG_3236.jpg

:drool: pretty excited to have found this little circular shaped guy with the greenish specs in the center moving around the tank, the previous day it was on the glass and couldnt get a good shot. Now I can see a bit of color on it. Any ideas as to what it is?

IMG_3238.jpg

20110127 - New arrangement for the LR - brought a chunk out from the sump

IMG_3245.jpg

I like the new arrangement of rock!

If I didn't know it was moving around, I'd say that thing was a coral. Does it have legs, or is it more like a snail?

lol... yes the buffalo is hidden now but it will definitely make it easier to clean the glass with my mag float.

jvision the little thing that is moving around doesnt have any legs and looks like its attached much like a snail foot, but doesnt have any sort of identifiable snail appendages or even a shell from what I could tell. I couldnt get a good look at it since it is about 3-4 mm in diameter and couldnt find my magnifying glass which is why I got the macro lens shot. It has since moved on and I havent been able to spot it on the rocks.

hmmm.. chitons are supposed to have 8 piece shells based on what I read up since finding the black chiton in my tank earlier. This one doesnt look to have any segmentation on its shell based on my pic. I should also mention that its shape when I saw it the first day was round and puck shaped and then in the picture above it seems like the shape has changed slightly as well as the colors showing up in the center. I had hoped it was some sort of coral or anenome... is that possible?

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

WOW! I'd have to say this is the most awesome fluval edge I have ever seen! I have been interested in SW for quite some time but this is really really making me want to take the plunge. I am a big fan of small tanks cuz I'm in a small apartment so this is very fascinating to me. It must be really exciting to search for all the little critters and try to identify them. Great job with all the mods!

And I love the purple fire fish!

It could be an anemone. I've had one or 2 that were somewhat active, but the only time I saw them move they were so slow it was barely noticeable.

Thanks GBoySC2! Its definitely interesting to see all these different things growing in the tank. Seems like it changes a bit everyday and I will be totally stoked if this little thing is an anenome.

I think my next purchase is going to be a goby of some kind... Yasha or flaming prawn gobies are topping my list at the moment. Hoping to lure what I think is a pistol shrimp out so I can observe the goby/shrimp symbiotic relationship.