6G Fluval Edge Sw Fowlr With 10G Sump (Pic Heavy)

Cgy_Betta_Guy

@MarkoD The intent of having the sump was to increase the water volume to 10G while at the same time hiding the heater and thermometer and since the display tank itself is a little limited in space already. I also is allowing me space to drop the nano skimmer in as well. Plus why not?

@Rayfong cool.... I was thinking of getting some shrimp for the tank eventually so maybe this narrows down my search for a suitable shrimp.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that looks great. but what is the point of a sump on a 6 gallon tank?

cant you get away without one easily?

I think this is also a good way to stay on top of evaporation .

On one hand it seems like lots of work for a small nano but at the same time it has more pro's then cons as He has already pointed out

Blake

looks good...nice build. The Aptasia will become nasty when it grows and multiplies so i'm +1 on the Peppermint Shrimp, and the little shrimp like creature is probably a Copepod and the worm is likely a bristleworm. I really like the look of the nanos...thanks for the pics...I luv me some pics...lol

Yeah the sump and overflow system allows me to keep a constant water level in the display tank which is a big deal since the Edge tends to get bubbles under the top glass which detracts from its looks. Any evaporation will show as a drop in water level in the sump at which point I can drop in some more water.

Wingin it... copepods = good or bad to have? I havent found a pic of a copepod that looks like the ones I am seeing but will keep looking.

i'd leave the rock just the way it is. looks good! and if you peer at it the right way, the section on the left looks like a buffalo, lol.

now i'm not a saltie, but i remember reading somewhere that you could put your skimmer in your sump. please correct me if what i read is wrong. but if you can, that would better than seeing it stick up a bit above the tank, eh?

Copepods are fine....if you have one, you have several, and you'd never get rid of them all anyway. Part of the fun is discovering what pops out on your rock over the next few months...sponges can show up months after you start.

now i'm not a saltie, but i remember reading somewhere that you could put your skimmer in your sump. please correct me if what i read is wrong. but if you can, that would better than seeing it stick up a bit above the tank, eh?

Salt or freshwater, you can put anything you want into a sump. Completely up to you. I actually have a cube tank here drilled in the bottom, with the idea being that the two tubes (inlet/outlet) would be hidden by the liverock and everything down below in a sump (cannister in this case) completely enclosed in the stand.

Something like this one. You can see the water movement at the top, but absolutely no equipment is visible:

4021d1256923008-jbj-28-gallon-nano-cube-cf-cimg2578.jpg

Thanks BFM! I do kind of like the way its currently arranged as well but I am a bit concerned about the dead spot behind the left side rock... seems to be accumulating some of the bits shedding from the rock. And I guess I can kinda see the buffalo if I squint just right :blush:

The skimmer is totally going in the sump. Just havent cut the hole in the lid for it to peak out yet cuz I am too busy staring at the live rock to see if there are any critters!

Speaking of critters... here are some pics of what I have spotted so far.... please help me identify and let me know if they are good or bad to have...

1) Copepod? right in the middle of the shot.

IMG_0745.jpg

2) a couple little white tubey arms/worms sticking out right in the center of the shots

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

3) a little sponge? cylindrical shaped tube located in the middle of the shot

IMG_0763.jpg

4)some sort of starfish... right in the middle of the shot.

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

5) This one kinda spooked me a bit... saw it peak out and duck back in several times... guessing a crab of some kind?

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

Thanks BFM! I do kind of like the way its currently arranged as well but I am a bit concerned about the dead spot behind the left side rock... seems to be accumulating some of the bits shedding from the rock. And I guess I can kinda see the buffalo if I squint just right :blush:

The skimmer is totally going in the sump. Just havent cut the hole in the lid for it to peak out yet cuz I am too busy staring at the live rock to see if there are any critters!

cool :thumbs:. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the critters :)

I'd post on canreef asking about the critters....I have a netbook right now,so you could post a picture of a regal tang and it'd look like a blueberry to me. lol

Crab or a mantis shrimp....you might want to isolate that piece of rock and see if you can get it out of there until you identify it.

Both are cool....both could live in your sump - think of it as a basement custodian. If it is a mantis, don't give it away....you'll kick yourself later for getting rid of such a cool creature.

That last critter is a crab of some kind. If you're not going to be keeping fish, you could be fine with it; if you are, it may be preditory. Since you're still cycling, it might be a good idea just to jab it w. something sharp and let it feed the cycle.

The starfish is a brittle star, decent little cleaner.

The white tube could be a sponge or it could be a tube from some kind of bivalve, which is a filter-feeder. Although, the 2nd pic looks like it might be a tubeworm - most SW guys call them feather dusters (I have a biology background, so I often just use the terms I learned in school).

And, that is a copepod in your first pic.

Can't quite tell what you're trying to describe in the sponge pic, but you could well be right.

I know it's already running, but my wife made a good point. You could really clean up the look by changing the color of the spraybar - the green really sticks out. Although, if you get enough coraline growth, the problem could take care of itself in a few months.

@Dunl Yup.. already posted at Canreef. :D

@Jvision yeah I was planning on making that spray bar black... however the silly eheim tubing is still going to be green. Thanks for the ID on most of the critters... the little sponge I was trying to point out was below that little red dot in the middle of the pic... its translucent and is pointing down. If I were to dunk the chunk of rock in fresh water do you think the crab/shrimp dood would leave its cubby? Everything except the star fish seems to be living on this chunk of rock so not really sure how to proceed.

I'd leave everything but the crab (copepods are awesome snacks for fish and stars are good scavengers)...i'd take that part out and force him out with club soda or something...I found a big one living in my tank one day, dove in the tank to retrieve the rock and plucked him out just as fast!

Here's what I found on that rock...just a little big ;)

037.jpg