Cas Speaker Weekend And Auction April 2 And 3

So Calgary Aquarium Society will be holding a speaker weekend, jar show and auction April 2 and 3. Speakers and jar show are on the second and so far, Gary Lange(rainbowfish) is confirmed and more to follow. Auction is on april 3 so start taking back your empties!! Volunteers are always needed and welcomed. I will post more details as I learn of them. Hope to see you all there!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Calgary Aquarium Society will be holding a speaker weekend, jar show and auction April 2 and 3. Speakers and jar show are on the second and so far, Gary Lange(rainbowfish) is confirmed and more to follow. Auction is on april 3 so start taking back your empties!! Volunteers are always needed and welcomed. I will post more details as I learn of them. Hope to see you all there!!!

Spencer Jack and I believe, Aquaflora are confirmed.

• 3 weeks later...

Gary Lange will be bringing rainbow fish egg kits that he will auction after his talks. Great opportunity to get some rare and beautiful fish. Also he will be taking preorders too and I'll post more details as I learn of them!!! Should be lots of fun....

There are typically a few folks that come from Edmonton for this auction. Perhaps a convoy/road trip should be organized!

About the only thing that I can be sure of that I will be putting in the auction will be a few Kryptolebias Marmoratus that are coming off the BAP this week. But there are some amazing fish and some good buys at Calgary auctions.

• 3 weeks later...

So exciting as I heard that we have our first junior entry in the jar show from one of Wingin It's fry(her kid not a fish)!!

Also we are having a banquet on Saturday, twenty dollars per person and please contact me for tickets...

• 3 weeks later...

G'day CAS members,

Gary Lange here. Looking forward to speaking to your club at the workshop Saturday April 2nd. Sometime during that day I will be doing a talk on:

Rainbowfish Basics. How to keep those bows healthy and happy, how to breed them and then going through what is now a long list of rainbowfish that are actually in the hobby today.

I will be planning to bring a bunch of rainbowfish egg kits to the club which will be auctioned off RIGHT AFTER MY RAINBOWFISH TALK. That's right, not the Sunday auction but right after the talk. If you don't attend the talk you miss out on the eggs! An egg kit consists of 40-70 eggs (depending on the fishes friskiness that week) along with first fry food and detailed instructions on how to raise the fry. I can't tell you at this moment which fish eggs I will be bringing. I won't be bringing the very latest stuff as I'm still paying for the last airline ticket to Papua with those fish :rolleyes: . I will certainly be bringing some stuff that you've never seen before in the stores, I can guarantee that! No crossed wholesalers garbage with these rainbowfish! We'll just have to wait and see which fish are breeding to see what will be in the egg kits. Don't worry about knowing the names because as each kit is auctioned off I'll put up the photo on the projector so you'll know what it looks like and I'll give a brief description. With some savvy bidding perhaps you'll be able to go home with some F-1 Melanotaenia praecox eggs from our Pagai Village strain as shown below. This fish is just so much nicer than the fish you see in the pet stores these days!

Praecox_pagai_7582.jpg

I think we are planning on two talks so another talk will be based on my first two trips to Papua with a little of the third trip jammed in there. It's kind of hard to talk about six weeks of collecting in about an hour's time with "Adventures in Paradise - Collecting Rainbowfish in New Guinea". Hey, I won the leech contest last trip! Last trip we brought back four, new to science, unknown species rainbowfish.

When you hear what we have to go through to capture these fish and bring them back alive maybe you'll be a little more careful with them :rolleyes: . I don't know whether this talk will be in the morning, afternoon or as a banquet talk. I will be auctioning off more rainbowfish eggs after the talk though so find out and plan to go.

I have also posted on this site some fish (rainbowfish and gasp, non-rainbowfish) that can be pre-ordered. Need to send email and not PM, see ads for more info. Note fish are only available for pickup on workshop Saturday, not at the Auction on Sunday.

http://albertaaquati...showtopic=32397

http://albertaaquati...showtopic=32398

Anyway the workshop is only about 30 days away so start making plans. You snooze you lose!

Cheers,

Gary Lange

Spencer Jack and I believe, Aquaflora are confirmed.

I remember Spencer's dad, Billy. He could kick like a mule, he was tough for such a little guy. I once saw him knock out a fellow that was 6 foot four by smacking him in the jaw with the side of his foot. :beer:

Added - Man, don't you have ANY members that watched really bad cult films during the 70's??? Maybe you just forgot or did too much indulging :rolleyes:

Edited by rainbowfish

So we have our meeting Tuesday night and Ken Ealey will be discussing how to show and bag fish so members are ready for the show and auction. Bring money(I'm so blunt) as I know there's some "expired" members out there and you'll also want to pay for your Saturday banquet tickets(you know you want too!). Hope you've all got your fish for the jar show as you have to have owned them for a month beforehand. No sneaking out to the LFS now.... We will be updating you about the weekend which is free other than the banquet. As always, we will be having our mini auction, raffle, reports(boring) and refreshments. If you've never attended, we'd love to see you there :smokey:

Looks like a schedule has been worked out.

11:00 am - Florida Fish Farming - Jack Spencer

12:00 noon - Lunch

12:30 pm - Adventures in Paradise - Collecting Rainbowfish in Papua - Gary Lange

2:30 pm - Collecting in Uruguay - Spencer Jack

4:00 pm - "Basic Rainbowfish – How to keep them Happy and Healthy"- Gary Lange

5:30 pm - Banquet - Award presentation

We will be auctioned off rainbowfish egg kits right after each rainbowfish talk. If you snooze you lose! They won't be at the Sunday auction, only the workshop.

Looking forward to seeing you then.

OOP's forgot to add - Rainbowfish Egg Kits are a 100% donation to the club. So all of the money you bid on them will go back to the club.

Edited by rainbowfish

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'm selling tickets to the banquet on Saturday April 2 and need to get some numbers for caterers. Twenty dollars gets you a roast beef dinner, dessert and a chance to mingle with your fellow fish nerds and the speakers. Everyone's welcome. Please pm me for tickets.

It's at the Montgomery Community Hall, Home Road and 16 Ave NW where we have our auction too. Hope to see lots of out of town folks(I'm from Calgary,lol!!) here for the speakers and the auction. PM me for dinner tickets on Saturday.