33 Gallon Tang Tank

bigbadbrent

Hi, im new to posting on this forum, but have been using it extensively in my research, but i figure this might be easier then searching for a few weeks.

Have a new 33 gallon long (36" long) tank setup, that is waiting for its cycling to start (im away on Vacation, so have water running but no bioload). I do have the foam insert of my new filter running in a filter on my smaller tank for 2 weeks, and will use the "Biomax" from my other filter as well when i get back to get the cycle ahead of schedule.

So i have a few questions regarding a stocking list (i'd rather have a pair or a couple of each species, versus a specie specific tank). I understand that i may be a little ambitious with my list, but i am more concerned with compatibility than size of my tank.

- J Transcriptus or Julidochromis ornatus or dickfeldi

- Orange leleupi

-Altolamprologus calvus

- Neo. Multi

- Cyprichromis leptosoma

From what i've seen at my LFS, most of these are available (though the Multis might be a little tough to get).

Also, would the Leleupi be a good choice to cycle with? I had my tank setup prior to my vacation but didnt want to get fish in it to ditch them, so have no interest in doing the Fishless cycle, as it's been empty for about a month.

One other question, does anyone buy fish off of Kijiji/Craigslist with decent luck?

Thanks for all the help!

Brent

Brent I recommend doing a fishless cycle before getting your fish. You can achieve it in a week or so, which is better than sacrificing your fish - most Tangs are bit more susceptible to ammonia.

A 33 could accomodate those fish when they're small, but IMO, the only way you'll get away w. more than one species is if you go with the Multis and Cyps. The others all like the same territory and will fight to the death when they start breeding.

Agree with Jay, the julies would bother the multies as would the lelupi possibly. If the altolamps want the multies shell or all the shells than its not looking good for the multies. Try a lil more aggressive shellie, or one thats larger maybe hecqui. If your shellies are adults and all your other fish are juvies you would be okay for a while...

Thanks for the help guys,

Is there anywhere I can get hecqui in Calgary?

Will consider a fishless cycle but having an empty tank has been bugging me!

If I was going to do the fishless, what product would you suggest for the ammonia and where can I find it?

Thanks again

Edited by bigbadbrent

I use the generic brand of ammonia from the grocery store. Once I'm done the cycle, I use it to clean the toilet. :)

Thanks, will take a look.

Does anyone have any other ideas for a small Brightly colored tang that'll work (and where to find in/around Calgs). I picked the Leleupi due to it's nice color and most have info on it says theyre unaggressive but all the forums say otherwise.

Thanks again

Edited by bigbadbrent

There are all sorts of comps or compressiceps u could get. Buy them young and they grow very slowly. Bonus for you fairdeal lives in cgy and has some nice black calvus and goldhead comps. There are many diff types of cyps that you could add if you had the right tankmates. Lelupi can be agressive but often just like their own space to breed in and will defend it. Good luck. Look on aquabid.net to build a tang wishlist! Thats my m.o.

I'll take a look on Monday. Gonna have a busy day running around to all the aquarium places.

If I chose to go with a fish for the cycle (which should be a quick one with all of my seeded stuff), which of my list or subsitituted list would be ok? Or should I get some Danios (as they'll bring out the rock dwellers later on from what I've heard).

Also, which test kits would you guys recommend, and I assume Golds has them cheapest?

Thanks again guys, tons of helpful info. Much easier then hours and hours on google

fishless cycle is fine, test the water first to make sure it has cycled.There is a great thread here somewhere. i use the api test kit. tests the 4 basic variables. ph(high/low), nitrate, nitrite and ammonia. Prolly better kits out there but it has worked fine for me for years.