How To Move My Rays Into A Larger Tank

JLake

My two laticep rays have outgrown there home and are moving into the 180 all by them selves. Whats the best way to move them? I emptied the 180 of fish totally last night. water is still there and i just have the lone fx5 on there now. The tank they are coming from is heavily over filtered. ac110 eheim 2217 and fluval 405. I am planning on moving all these filters to the 180 for the move. I am planning on removing the fx5 for some maintenance and sponge replacement. Then i will add it to the other 3 untill it catches up with fresh bacteria. should I just add 50 gallons of fresh water to the 180? Than add the 55 gallons of water they are in with thte rays and run the 180 about half full? slowly adding water with wcs everyday? any advice would be great, would like to keep these rays healthy and they are long overdue for the move. Plus I am tired of removing 7.5 gallons of water a day from the rays.

you need to pm skynoch...... He is the ray master with rays and our water bro.....

I always figured new water is better than old water as the bio lives in the media. As long as its the same temp and PH dump the tank into the new one top it off with fresh (de chlorinated) and move the filters. Then keep an eye on the ammonia spikes IF you get any with more water changes the first few weeks.

Also keep em in a rubbermaid while you do all this and take your time mixing the new water in there before you add em. Thats how Ive done it with motoros moving tanks and I havent had a problem.

Yeah i already pmd scott on this matter. just waiting for him to get back online! haha thanks hustler

So are you talking about the actual move your about the water quality etc?

If you are talking about the move I have 8 rays and am by no means an expert but what works for me is using a laundry basket. When I moved my 20" female motoro to my 400 gallon I used a laundry basket and worked really well. What I did was had a BIG rubbermaid container (which was big enough for the laundry basket to fit in) with about 8" inches of water in it. Then I took the laundry tub and put it into the aquarium on it's side. Then I gently guided her unto the side of the laundry basket and then tip it right side up and lifted her out. Then I just placed the laundry basket in the rubbermaid and off I went. Then I slowly added water into the rubbermaid to make sure she was acclimated to the chemistry of the new tank. Once that was done I just lifted the laundry basket out and then placed it into the aquarium and tipped it on it's side so she could swim out. I have done this now quite a few times when moving my other motoros and when moving my retics but I used smaller launder basket with the retics.

Scott is the real expert but I thought I would put my two cents in :)

Thanks for your help! I'm planning the move tonight. I'm just worried about my laticep female. She is growing slower and is more sensitive than the male. I don't want to stress her anymore. I may leave her for a week or so and see how the male does. Its the male that has far outgrown the tank anyway.

My two laticep rays have outgrown there home and are moving into the 180 all by them selves. Whats the best way to move them? I emptied the 180 of fish totally last night. water is still there and i just have the lone fx5 on there now. The tank they are coming from is heavily over filtered. ac110 eheim 2217 and fluval 405. I am planning on moving all these filters to the 180 for the move. I am planning on removing the fx5 for some maintenance and sponge replacement. Then i will add it to the other 3 untill it catches up with fresh bacteria. should I just add 50 gallons of fresh water to the 180? Than add the 55 gallons of water they are in with thte rays and run the 180 about half full? slowly adding water with wcs everyday? any advice would be great, would like to keep these rays healthy and they are long overdue for the move. Plus I am tired of removing 7.5 gallons of water a day from the rays.

If you have kept your water quality up then any new water you add will only benefit the rays. I would put your existing water from your 180 into a clean garbage can as big as you can and fill with as much new water as possible to keep your temp the same as your current 55 gallon tank. I would then put in half your 55 gallon into the 180 gallon and then slowly refill the 55 to acclimate your rays in case of any ph changes ect... Once the 55 is refilled you can take half the water back out and put it in the 180 and then move the rays and the rest of the water in the 180. If you need to top it off use the water in the garbage can. I would then leave the lights off and cover the tank for half a day to a day checking on them occasionally and testing water occasionally.

During this whole process you shouldn't need to shut off your filters (keep them in the 55) if the intakes are low enough (if they are over halfway up drop them down). If you use the old filters and move the rays this way you shouldn't have to worry about your tank recycling.

you need to pm skynoch...... He is the ray master with rays and our water bro.....

I always figured new water is better than old water as the bio lives in the media. As long as its the same temp and PH dump the tank into the new one top it off with fresh (de chlorinated) and move the filters. Then keep an eye on the ammonia spikes IF you get any with more water changes the first few weeks.

Also keep em in a rubbermaid while you do all this and take your time mixing the new water in there before you add em. Thats how Ive done it with motoros moving tanks and I havent had a problem.

Your for sure right about the new water being better in fact you should be able to use 100% new pretreated water if your temp and ph are the same. The big problem is most people don't keep up on thier tank maintenance so big water changes tend to raise the ph back up to the tap level around here.

Yeah i already pmd scott on this matter. just waiting for him to get back online! haha thanks hustler

If you are talking about the move I have 8 rays and am by no means an expert but what works for me is using a laundry basket. When I moved my 20" female motoro to my 400 gallon I used a laundry basket and worked really well. What I did was had a BIG rubbermaid container (which was big enough for the laundry basket to fit in) with about 8" inches of water in it. Then I took the laundry tub and put it into the aquarium on it's side. Then I gently guided her unto the side of the laundry basket and then tip it right side up and lifted her out. Then I just placed the laundry basket in the rubbermaid and off I went. Then I slowly added water into the rubbermaid to make sure she was acclimated to the chemistry of the new tank. Once that was done I just lifted the laundry basket out and then placed it into the aquarium and tipped it on it's side so she could swim out. I have done this now quite a few times when moving my other motoros and when moving my retics but I used smaller launder basket with the retics.

I've used the laundry baskets, rubbermaid bins and rubber nets which all work good depending on what the circumstance is but I've found with big rays the rubbernets are the easiest for tanks, for ponds the baskets work well.

Thanks for your help! I'm planning the move tonight. I'm just worried about my laticep female. She is growing slower and is more sensitive than the male. I don't want to stress her anymore. I may leave her for a week or so and see how the male does. Its the male that has far outgrown the tank anyway.

Is your female the one that was having some problems? She should be outgrowing your male soon. Hopefully the bigger tank will relax her a little more.

Yeah she is not growing as fast as the male. Ever since her lil illness she has been eating the same amount as the male but he's so big compared to her. She will even eat prawns but the male won't. The male will only eat dew worms. I can't get him to try anything else. I am going to wait till the weekend to make the move! Thanks for everyones help. Ill post pics when they are in their new home.

I've never kept rays - yet - LOL but would think that if all the male is eating is dew worms that may explain why he is beefing up so much compared to the female. I remember reading somewhere that a steady long term diet of worms could possibly harm fish as they are very high in fat content. I guess this could open up the debate and certainly had no intention of hijacking your thread but just thought I would pass that along Justin. You can google that and find out some up to date facts as this was at least 3 years ago I read that. Better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah i have tried to mix up the diet but they are not feeling it. She will eat a few pieces of prawns but he pooh poohs everything. I have tried mysis shrimp bloodworms scallops squid nls wafers and even threw in 10 back scraper babies. he will inspect it but wont touch it. He will eat 7 jumbo dew worms a day if i let him. Im guessing i will have to starve em a lil longer. They are great creatures, like lil dogs when i walk in the room. they see the worm plate in my hands and get excited. I will post pics this weekend i promise~

move complete! water is testing fine right now.

Matched water ph and it was easy! like Scott said. I kept up on my wcs and the treated water and the ray tank were almost identical.

rays are in new home. a lil spooked right now. look alot smaller in the 180. noticed my male has a small red circle aboutg half the size of a dime on his underside. any ideas?

Any pics of the 400 and the rays?

Yeah i have tried to mix up the diet but they are not feeling it. She will eat a few pieces of prawns but he pooh poohs everything. I have tried mysis shrimp bloodworms scallops squid nls wafers and even threw in 10 back scraper babies. he will inspect it but wont touch it. He will eat 7 jumbo dew worms a day if i let him. Im guessing i will have to starve em a lil longer. They are great creatures, like lil dogs when i walk in the room. they see the worm plate in my hands and get excited. I will post pics this weekend i promise~

Have you tried injecting your dew worms with. A nls broth???

I've used this technique for literally over 20 pups ... I believe they learn the taste of the pellet and simply start taking pellets after a few weeks...

I let the nls soak in water and then mash it up...use a 10cc syringe and suck up the nls and then attach a thick gauge needle (22g) to the syringe and inject ...

Injecting takes practise.. If you inject to fast the nls formula will blow out the end of the worm...

Anyways, pm me if ya got any questions, need to be shown how or just need some supplies

wow never thought of that. I will have to do that forsure. i dont like the all worm diet the male is on. The female will only eat one bite of prawn everytime. never more than one piece. Honestly im growing tired of cutting the worms in half, injecting sounds more intensive. But at least it may lead to a nls diet! I never even thought that was possible.