My Trip To Calgary

blitherskite777

Hello,

I made a trip to Calgary this weekend to try and transport some new fish back home to BC. I was excited to find a Silver Arowana and Glass Knifefish at Big Al's and someother fish store by there. Dont remember the name. I have had bad luck transporting small fish in the past, but felt the need to try again.

Alas, this morning I woke up to both of them dead. ( Two other larger fish I had purchased are still alive) I assume the trama from the trip, temp changes etc was to much for the little babies to make it the 4-5 hour drive in the car... it makes me sad that I cant get any cool fish in my home location, and importing them seems to be impossible. I have tried other fish with no luck ... Rope fish, Long nose gar, etc ... All of which babies ... all of which dead.

How do u transport your small fish around? I would assume most of u dont need to travel my distance, but any ideas how to make these fish live?

I used fish travel containers, with lots of water and air... The car was warm, and the water didnt go below 74F.

When I transport fish, I actually do the opposite. I lower the temperature with ice slowly and place the fish in black garbage bags with no light. Reason is, fish are cold blooded animals, lowering the temp makes them almost asleep (along with the dark) and they are not as stressed. If possible, I give them a shot of oxygen and some slime coating chemicals(name escapes me at the moment). Containers are higher than wide so not too much sloshing (think beer glass vs plate). I am sure everbody else has an opinion and this is just my 5 cents worth.:rolleyes:

Did you have the store put in any 'bag buddies'? Also, IME, baby fish don't do very well in long trips...try juveniles or young adults next time maybe...you'll likely have better luck...sorry for the losses...it totally sucks when things like this happen.

You might also have better luck if you order fish and have them flown in? I would assume that the CRIAirport operates like any other and will allow fish shipments? Might be worth looking into.

The fish should have no problem handling a 4-5 hour trip,not sure why yours are dying. Are you acclimating them before putting them in your tanks?

When I got them home, I up'd there temp very slowly. They went into an established tank where other fish are doing just fine.

Im not sure what went wrong both times we have tried.

I have also moved fish before these two occations. I have moved my bigger fish a couple times with no problems whatsoever. ITs making me gun shy in doing such which blows cause my home town has no cool fish I want :-(

Thank u

EDIT:

I have not considered getting something flown in. Who would I ask? What airline would do that and how could I find out if they come to my small city :-p Anyone with experience that could help? I live in Cranbrook BC. We have an internation airport but Im unsure of which cargo companies fly in.

I would very much consider paying someone to purchase and ship fish to me ( for there time as well) if it would increase the chances of the fish living :-)

Edited by blitherskite777

I don't want to add sting to your wound either, but I have bought fish from Calgary and drove around for hours with them in a piecespet store thermal bag with no chemicals and then returned home making it over 4hours back to Innisfail with nothing extra except asking them to reduce the water and fill the bag with alot of oxygen ratio about 3/8 water/air? I do not buy large fish either. It is aweful having no great pet stores in Central Alberta too! Sorry for your loss.

I have not considered getting something flown in. Who would I ask? What airline would do that and how could I find out if they come to my small city :-p Anyone with experience that could help? I live in Cranbrook BC. We have an internation airport but Im unsure of which cargo companies fly in.

I would very much consider paying someone to purchase and ship fish to me ( for there time as well) if it would increase the chances of the fish living :-)

You can purchase your fish from anywhere that will ship...so you can check out Spencer Jack for example. I arranged a group order of fish from TFD.com last year around this time and they came in from the US. When you decide on a retailer, you just need to ask them if they can ship to your local international airport...which they likely will be able to. The airline can be anyone like Air Canada or whatever other airline is available.

It sounds to me like a water parameter difference, my guess would be PH.

Fish can not handle a quick change in PH. Often different cities have different water types.

The time of 4 or 5 hours is peanuts, fish are bagged in Calgary on a Saturday night, driven to Edmonton Sunday morning and then sit on a table at an auction for hours, and for the most part there is very little in losses.

I don't mean to rain down on any advice you have received but I do want to add that shipping your fish via airline will be much more stressful on them than a 4-5 hour trip in your car. I would recommend solving your problem first and then looking at ordering online

yeah having similar ph would be a huge help. I have ordered fish from texas many times and they have always lived. with up to 24 hours in the bag. They have almost identical water to us so that always helps. I agree 4 to 5 hours should be easy. maybe almost drip them in next time. baby arrows arent exactly hardy as far as i know.

Those are some good ideas :-)

I never did check the PH lvl of the water, that could be it! Just curious what the PH lvl of the tap water in Calgary is? Does is very from location pending on Water treatment plant?

I dont believe it was the trip itself that kicked them unless it was stress... There has to be something in my house. The Pleco I bought survived but they are like cockroaches haha. :smokey:

I guess that me not thinking, see.. Im glad I learned something today! Maybe I will try again importing fish haha. It just sucks cause .. u know, they cost lots of money just to die cause I make a mistake :chair:

Thank u all for the advice!