New Regulations For Importing

fishclubgirl

FYI,

The new regulations for importing now take effect in December 2011. Canadian association for Aquarium Clubs has the list and more details on their website www.caoac.ca . They have limited the list but there's still gouramis, guppies and rainbows on there. However, I can still bring in lots of bettas with no paperwork, yeah!!!

That is going to be a huge burden on custom officials how are they going to be able to identify all these fish looking through 2 layers of plastic.

That is going to be a huge burden on custom officials how are they going to be able to identify all these fish looking through 2 layers of plastic.

Time to start quadruple bagging them. :)

It seems like a big waste of time to me I have never heard of discus bringing in any disease that can harm native species but I could be wrong. I think it will put a bigger workload on custom officers and help out the drug traffickers.

The thing about discus is maybe the fact that they are disappearing in the wild so they have put the ban to stop that as much as possible but unless the states and other countries do the same it's not going to make a dent at all.

L

As far as I seen these new rules have nothing to do with conservation --tank bred Discus in the States or Thailand are not gonna effect the wild populations

That's true and i did consider that but there is still importation of wild stock and how would they differentiate between wild and tank bread discus? I personally think regulation of importation isn't the answer but regulation of sale of some species could do soo much more and more effectively than import regulation. For example Koi are on the list and i completely understand the fact that they have invaded some lakes allready but i'm pretty sure that the main reason for that is that some retailers completely neglect to inform their customers how BIG they get. Same with goldfish and Gouramis. The guppys????? well at least individuals are still allowed to import with paperwork from what i understand. It'll make it very very difficult for most of us but i'm not sure what can be done but to contact your rep in the federal government. The more people that do that the better the chance of it being defeated or repealed.

It bites but there really is only one way to possibly fix it. I hate to point the blame for this legislation at one retailer but based on some of the species on the list and how horridly inexperienced most of the staff in the fish/bird/hamster/everything but dog and cat section. Its really not just that retailer but personally i think they are a large part of the problem. I caught a program on TV recentlly about the catching of pet fish in the great lakes and they had caught one of those black moor goldfish on that particular trip and it was HUGE. They have a list of the most common species found in the lakes and i know at least two of those are on the list.

L

I may be wrong but if you look at the second article highlighted at the bottom of the page at www.caoac.ca, it says you won't have to have a permit for discus. That's the way I read it anyway. It states this in section 192 of the new act.

Edited by angel al