20G Planted

gBOYsc2

I'm a little late on my Sunday update. I have been going to bed really early so it's hard for me to get good dark room pictures with no glare at all, but I took some last night. For some reason the Rotala has been growing all twisty instead of straight up. I noticed one of my Amano shrimp has half of a leg missing. YIKES! Not sure why. On a good note the Diplis diandra has quadrupled in size, but I lost about half of the planted stalks because they failed to root and the emersed portion simply melted away. Here are some pics:

Feb. 01, 2011 - Full Tank Shot

001-6.jpg

Diplis diandra

006-2.jpg

The HM is bushing up nicely now.

010-3.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your shrimp could have left part of his leg behind when it molted. Not a big deal - it'll be there again next time it molts.

Heres a little update. It's been a while almost 2 weeks I think. The Diplis diandra has taken off and is growing very rapidly. It was reported this is really hard to grow in our water type but it has proven otherwise. I am considering buying another tub and getting a good bush of it going. I also started to get a little bit of cyanobacteria in a small portion of the tank. I'm guessing it is flow related. It has appeared only in the area with the least amount of flow so today I installed a second spray bar and extended the original one across the whole tank. Hopefully this will solve the issue. I also did a nitrate test and it came back at either 40 or 80 ppm which is definitely too high. I can't tell cuz the colors on the indicator card look almost identical to me. Possibly the reason I lost a few shrimp over the past month or so?

Feb. 14, 2011 - Full Tank Shot

001-8.jpg

The cyanobacteria which is growing on the Rotala..... ewww.

004-3.jpg

And just for fun.........

A shot of one of the few remaining amanos at work.

009-2.jpg

The HC carpet looking pretty healthy. It has almost fully filled in. Getting a little tall too. Almost time for a good mowing.

010-4.jpg

If your NO3 is over 40, then I'd cut back on the ferts for a bit. But, that's why your plants are doing amazing! :)

The flow will help with the BGA - I'd just cut that stem and toss the whole part with the BGA on it. Maybe increasing CO2 will help as well - but then your plants will REALLY take off!

I stopped dosing ferts for the 2nd half of last week when I did my tests. Another member suggested dilluting the aquarium water 50% with nitrate free water to get a more accurate reading because I couldn't tell the different between 40 and 80. I am going to try today but my tap water has 5 ppm nitrates and I am not so great at math.

Do you think if I increase CO2 it will help the plants eat up the ferts faster? I am considering even purchasing another light for the same reason, or else doing lots of testing over the week to fine tune my dosing.

Good suggestions jvision. Stems will be cut. *snip snip*

jvision......what concerns you about high nitrates?....

Gboy.....have you calibrated your test kit?

yes more co2 will increase nutrient uptake...but do slowly over a few days and maybe add some surface agitation just incase...

IMO...high nitrates are nothing to worry about....low nitrates however are....you limit nitrates and your going to stunt.

you have a nice tank don't throw off the balance...As long as your plants are growing and your critters don't seem stressed I see no reason to worry..

No, I haven't calibrated the test kit. I have read how inaccurate they can be but I have a friend with the same kit and he calibrated his and says it is surprisingly accurate. However, that doesn't mean mine is. Do you by chance have a link to a good way of calibrating the kit?

I always keep some surface agitation, even if that means I have to up the CO2 a bit to keep it well saturated. I think too high of nitrates are definitely something to worry about. 80 ppm seems really high. I think 40 would be semi safe though. 30ppm is recommended isn't it? I have lost a few shrimp over the past month or 2. It could be old age or it could be from the nitrates or something else I am not getting.... but the plants are growing quite well. Overall I would like to keep the nitrates around the target range just so I know that is not the reason why I lost and might continue to lose the shrimp.

Edited by gBOYsc2