My 14+5 stand

Tanker

Hey, all. Let's see if that engineering class I took a decade ago is worth a damn:

I was up WAY too late last night dreaming up a stand for a custom 14 gallon and a standard 5 gallon... The purpose is a planted fig 8 puffer tank with a snail hatchery included, as well as a shelf for the food, etc.

I am planning on using 3/4 inch MDF for the stand, and sealing it against water damage. I will be purchasing a 4'x4' piece from Rona and having them do the cuts (this way if it's not perfect, it's not my fault!).

The following is a cut diagram, and a sideways view of the tank, but you'll get the idea. (tilt your head to the right)

Is this going to be sturdy?

The stand is 36 inches high, 19 inches wide, and 12 1/2 inches deep. The bottom shelf is about a foot off the ground, and the middle shelf is about 6 inches from the bottom of the top facing board and the shelf, itself. The bits marked "brace" on the diagram are the facing boards under each shelf. The entire weight of the top is on the side boards, as the back is only down as far as the lowest shelf. The middle leg on the bottom supports the 5 gallon.

I can't see the whole works being much more than 300 pounds, stand included... and I'm positive that MDF could support that, easily enough. Especially with the shelves, back and facing boards prividing "anti-bow" bracing. Essentially makes it a big box, on it's end.

Additional drawings are available, once I get home tonight...

stand_plan_small.jpg

Did you use a program for that, I like the way the kerf is taken into account by the cut sequence. Usually the first couple three cuts are free, and a small charge after that. I only see a couple of cuts they would be unwilling or unable to do but those are for the braces. Hopefully you will get a guy that knows how to use the saw not one that thinks he knows, because your tolerances are awfull tight. Excellent in its simplicity I hope it all works for you. :bow:

I drew that up on Photoshop 7, with a line weight equivalant to 1/4", which God willing, is the same as the saw blade path.

Other than that, it's all off the top of my head, and done completely freehand. But I have an eye and the mind for this stuff, sometimes.

Oh, and as for Rona? I have a connection at the Whitemud Edmonton store to get things done, and for cheap. We're going in today and talking to the hook-up, see if I need to readjust for a different saw blade, etc...

I'll keep you all updated.

Suggestions on paint/sealants? I am thinking just a couple coats of house paint (exterior grade) for now, as we are unsure of the color we want. Just a gallon of white to hammer onto it, and get "most" surfaces, in the short term...?

Some of the stores give the 1st cut free and $2 for each additional cut. Some may not cut them for you. My local Home Hardware does. I prefer plywood - a bit more expensive but overall stronger and will not lose it's stength immediately if it should get soaked. MDF. on the hand, does not agree well with water and although cheaper than plywood does not, in my opinion, have a long life expectancy should it be soaked for an extended period of time ie: a slow drip under the tank. I built a set of mdf cubboard doors for the bottom two levels of my one set of stands so as to protect against accidental knocking of the tanks during maintenance etc. I have regretted since the start that I didn't spring the extra $ for the plywood.

Rona's policy is first four cuts are free, and $1 after that.

Regrettably, I planned for a 1/4" cut width, and their saws are 1/8" so I'll have to adjust for the dimensional changes before proceeding with the stand.

Good advice on the plywood, generally speaking; but this will be sealed against moisture, as well as a thin bit of styrofoam going between the stand and top tank. As well, the top tank is a design that has the bottom glass with the sides on 'top', so that any seal problems will be immediately noticeable, as opposed to pooling under the tank (as a framed tank may).

We were looking at a sheet of sanded oak plywood today... wow that stuff is gorgeous, so the stand may be made from that, just 'because' :rolleyes:

In other news, we chose our new place today, and there is TONS of room for all kinds of tanks and stands, so let the building begin! Once we stumble into July, I will be able to really go nuts with custom tanks and stands!

I would still go with the plywood in 3/4'. I have built several MDf product for aquarium use from stand to lids and sealed all of them with a Melamine paint and silicone. Even still the water will find someplace to penatrate in to the MDF. Plywood is a bit more money but in the long run, it will hold up for many years.

As far a s cut width on saw blades it is almost always 1/8", unless dadoed or handsawn.

Garhan

Funny enough, we went to take a look at another apartment on Saturday, and decided on that one, instead... selling points? A third bedroom for a guest room (we need one for us, and one for the office/arts room) and the best part? At the end of the hall way, there is a "cubby" area, where the 30 foot long hallway ends. It's hallway width (that's what? 3 1/2 feet or so?) and about 2 feet deep... we both looked at it and thought the exact same thing: 35 gallon aquagiant tank! The apartment is on the main floor, so concrete underfoot... and unlimited tanks!

I love my girlfriend... she's a fish nut, too :wub: