Newbie With Plants!

vchriste

First of all, I just want to thank everyone on the forum! You guys are such a great source of information!

I'm looking for some beginner info in regards to a planted tank. I got a Fluval Edge a few weeks ago for a really good price, it's been set up for about a little over a month now. I have put some plants in there recently and am just looking for some tips and tricks to keeping my plants as I've never had good luck, but never really put much effort in it as well. Currently, I have two Anubias Nana's (each tied to some driftwood) and a bit (about a handful or so) of Java Moss, tied to a rock and another piece of driftwood.

I would love to have a nice Sword in the back for a centre piece and some carpet plants as well, but aren't sure of what would be good for a beginner like myself.

I am also looking for some information regarding lighting. The aquarium comes with two halogen bulbs and I've been searching for a used hood lamp (5 gallon size) on kijiji to add a spectrum bulb. Should this be sufficient?? Along with weekly fertalization?

I don't know much about CO2, I just want to have some nice plants that won't turn to mush.

Thanks for your imput guys, I appreciate it.

Vanessa

If you run the airstone, you will gas-off all the CO2. Your Betta isn't unhappy b/c of lack of oxygen - he can breath air from the surface. He's either upset b/c of too much circulation (Bettas live in stagnant pools in the wild), or someone might be picking on him, or your water quality isn't up to snuff.

Yeah I don't think CO2 would stress out betta...you added it already? It could be a pH issue since the Edge's are kind of smaller or too much current they aren't fond of it like jvision said...there are always the odd ones though.

If you're doing homemade CO2 i found adding baking soda makes the difference in how long it lasts for me.

First of all, I just want to thank everyone on the forum! You guys are such a great source of information!

I'm looking for some beginner info in regards to a planted tank. I got a Fluval Edge a few weeks ago for a really good price, it's been set up for about a little over a month now. I have put some plants in there recently and am just looking for some tips and tricks to keeping my plants as I've never had good luck, but never really put much effort in it as well. Currently, I have two Anubias Nana's (each tied to some driftwood) and a bit (about a handful or so) of Java Moss, tied to a rock and another piece of driftwood.

I would love to have a nice Sword in the back for a centre piece and some carpet plants as well, but aren't sure of what would be good for a beginner like myself.

I am also looking for some information regarding lighting. The aquarium comes with two halogen bulbs and I've been searching for a used hood lamp (5 gallon size) on kijiji to add a spectrum bulb. Should this be sufficient?? Along with weekly fertalization?

I don't know much about CO2, I just want to have some nice plants that won't turn to mush.

Thanks for your imput guys, I appreciate it.

Vanessa

I would try out a few lighting options to see what seems to work the best. The stock lights might be fine for many of the low light plants such as anubias, crypts, java fern and moss, etc. I would be weary of the sword as it might get to large for the tank. Instead, I would see if you like any crypts, or maybe some hygro that you could easy trim back as it gets too large.

Hi guys,

I have set up a small CO2 unit, can I still run a small air stone along with the CO2?

I have a betta in there that seems really unhappy.

Thanks again

You might have too much co2. You could easy have co2 levels that are too high in a small tank. Do you have a drop checker? You use them to determine if the co2 levels are approximately correct.