Need Help With Amazon Fish List Please

CORVETTE

Hello everyone i need help setting my tank diffrently than i have ever done before. I plan on having a few wild caught discus and Angels but what else can i put in with them ? I really like schooling fish, cat fish, pleco's any thing else i can add... The tank is my 230 gallon which will be emptyed this weekend. Filtration is a Fx5, Ehiem Pro3 and a Fluval 403. The tank will be at 78 deg.

Oh man that is like my dream tank. Angels plus I would put a large school of Cardinal Tetras like 50+, a medium school of Rummy Nose Tetras and a decent sized school of corydoras. I'm not sure if Amanos are fish food for Angels but a bunch of Amano shrimp would be great to keep the tank nice and clean.

Edited by gBOYsc2

Cardinals tend to end up as angel food - I've tried it about 5 times, and the school of cardinals always gets smaller. My 120gal has 4 angels, 18 Bleeding Heart Tetras, around 50 Corys, a few BN Plecos, and about 40 Marble Hatchets. The BH tetras are gorgeous, but I'm thinking of swapping them out for something that schools tighter and more often - for the most part the BHs have small territories (about 1" around each fish); it's only when someone new walks toward the tank that they school.

If you do go with Cardinals, I'd go with 100 or more - 50 doesn't look all that impressive in a large tank. I would go with something a little larger, and probably more round bodied (Black Skirts, Serpae, Phantom, etc). Although, I did have a 135 that had 3M/3F Congo Tetras - they get big, school well, and have great colors! And, don't get eaten by even larger WC angels! :)

rummy nose tetras are the best schooling tetre in my opinion. I have had rasboras and cardinas among other tetras, and they school when you first put them in the tank, but after a few weeks they stake out territories exactly like jvision has described.

Currently I have cyps, angels, and discus in a 90G with cardinals, and rummy nose. the cardinals will school occasionally (being smaller in size than most other tankmates), but the rummy nose are always swimming around together.

Edited by Marty

All the above fish sound awesome to add. In my 6ft 120 gallon I have such a mixture of fish that it's almost comical. I've got Adult Angels, Giant Danios, smaller long fin zebra Danios, Congo Tetrsa, Black Occelatus, Rio Tappo? Swords, Red Velvet Swords, Marigold Swords, Guppies, Endlers, Black Neons, Blue Neons, Bettas M & Fs, Ember Tetras, Featherfin Catfish, Erupterus Catfish, Syno. Petricolas, Hoplo Cats, Orange Lazer Corys, Bronze Corys, Threadfin Rainbows, leleupi...i've probably forgotten some, but I think it works because there are so many plants and rocks in the tank...and lots of everything...so really, I think if something catches your eye...go for it...hahahaha

Thanks everyone the suggestions are great. I don't really know much about freindly fish...lol. i give you all a little more history about me and the tank. I've kept oddities for most of the 20 years of fish keeping, datnoids, stingrays,Bichirs,eels,asian aro's,hundreds of types of fish justy nothing small and friendly. I sold a school of 13 7-8" clown loaches and bred discus for a couple of years as well. I'must admit i' really looking forward to dealing with these type of fish. I'll keep everyone posted and post pictures of my changing tank. I would love more catfish as well.

Edited by CORVETTE

Oh wow I didn't realize Cardinals were just an expensive snack for Angels. I think Jvisions setup sounds pretty awesome. Hatchet's at the top, Cories at the bottom, Angels in the middle and possibly a nice large school of rummy nose? Since you love Catfish corydoras are a MUST! I am a big fan of the sterbai cory's.

would be cool if u turned it into a huge planted tank . killifish , mollys, sounds nerdy but a massive scoll of fancy guppies. but they would probaly get sucked into your filter. realy nice plecos . school of zebra corries. maybe even that hump head glass fish , it is a type of tetra i think . a nice pleco would be a snowball . or a peppermint pleco . maybe some zebra . just if your fish have small mouths can get some real exotic plecos and nice cats . also a realy cool pleco is a spiny monster , just some things thought of