I'm a fish Grandpa for the first time!

nevchewy

You were right k9outfit... that female was ready to spawn.

The best part about this is, I got to see the whole thing!

It was awseome!

I raced out of the room and I grabbed the digital and got some good pics and was able to make 3 movies. She was already holding when i got home and they went at it about 4 more times for me...

here are some of the pics:

yellowbreeding1.jpg

yellowbreeding2.jpg

yellowbreeding3.jpg

and the best part the video:

(if you have dial up this will take for ever as its a 25mb video... but if you have high speed... take a look! its soooooooo cool!)

http://nevchewy.no-ip.com/continued/breedingvid.AVI

I'm a fish Grandpa for the first time!

now if i can just finish my stand ASAP i'll have a holding tank for her.

k9outfit - how many fry has she spawned in the past?

thanks again!

hope you enjoy the video!

nev

Edited by nevchewy

Congrats, Grandpa! :beer:

She only had 6 the 1st time (04/09/23), 3 of which you are familiar with, the 2nd time (04/12/11) only 4. The 3rd time I don't know, since she released in the main tank (and I didn't keep track of anything). Didn't have anywhere to go with her, or the fry. :( You'll find that she'll hang on to them forEVER!!! and only let go once she's probably seeing double from starvation! :wacko: She WILL release them before she'll go belly up though, not to worry. Held for 28 and 32 days, respectively!

Anyway, enjoy your 1st foray into breeding; it only gets better. :smokey: Wish I could have a peek at your video, but there's no hope for it.

Edited by k9outfit

Thanks for all of you kind words!

Anyway, enjoy your 1st foray into breeding; it only gets better.  Wish I could have a peek at your video, but there's no hope for it.

Hope you get a chance to see it, as it turned out pretty good!

it has been now 5 days... and she's still holding.

I feel kind of bad for her though as when it come to feeding... hangs near the lava rock and when a peice falls near her, she try for 5 minutes to try and eat it! its depressing to watch!

a question for all of you experts out there:

does she eat at all? or will she starve untill releasing? :well:

For the mods out there... feel free to move to the breeding forum if you want. I don't mind!

I'll keep you all posted as to the progress of her holding to term, spitting, and if i'm lucky the raising of the fry.

nev

Edited by nevchewy

She'll hold without eating for about 3 weeks. Then, assuming that she feels it is "safe" to release the fry, she will let them go on her own and start eating again. Just nature's way...

I don't know what kind of rock cover you have, but a small pile of lava rock (of the type used in BBQs) makes a great place for the fry to hide. You can sterilize them first by baking in the oven for an hour at 400 F. When they are done, drop them (while still hot) into a pail of water from your tank. They will spit and sizzle and suck water in through the pores in the rock and sink like, well, stones...

Otherwise, some of them will probably float rather than sink.

Mom will find the pile and spit the fry into the cracks. Works every time for me. Plus, it is also easy to deliver some finer foods into the pile with a funnel or turkey baster.

Good luck!

David

I have lots of lava rock in my tank. Lots of hiding spots!

take a look: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/displaytank.php?tank=7783

the picture needs to be updated as i have re-arranged the rocks many times over now.

I have read that a safe time to to catch and put her in a holding tank, is after she has been holding for 2 weeks.

I'm going to give that a try! This will be my rookie attempt!

Plus, it is also easy to deliver some finer foods into the pile with a funnel or turkey baster.

that is a good idea!!!!!!!!!!

I learn something new everyday!

nev

• 2 weeks later...

~~ Update ~~

it has been about 2 and a half weeks now and she is coming a long just fine.

When she is looking directly at me, i can see the little fry developing. to see their little eyes is pretty cool!

question for you all...

now that i am using my hospital tank for my rusties...

I do not have the extra space to have her in a holding tank to spit.

I'm left with 1 of 2 options.

option 1:

let her spit in the tank and then its survival of the fittest...

option 2:

pick up a breeder net or a breeder tank and let her hold and spit in there.

I'm not sure if a breeder net would work, but anyone else has used it before... please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

nev

I agree with rahim101. You wouldn't believe what the fish can do with/through a breeder net! :o Fish will actually eat NLS through the mesh - at about the same rate as without it! Hate to see what they'd do to a few tasty fry tidbits!