Rescue Fish Organization.

SkyGrl

hello everyone!

some of you may know me on here already but let me introduce myself officially. My name is Amy and I am from Red Deer. I am a fish addict... HA!

over the last couple years i have personally rescued many fish that were unwanted or were not being taken care of properly. Candice and I have seen a need for a fish rescue for a while but have decided that this is a good time as any to start one officially. Currently we are working with a animal rescue, who is helping us set up our rescue organization an providing what limited space she can spare. Our goal is to rescue and rehome fish that are being abused or are unwanted or are a "problem" fish (beating up the prize gouramis).

We are just getting equipment together right now (between us we have a number of unused tanks), setting up and cycling the empty tanks. we are looking for donations of tanks, heaters, filters, lights, substrate (no we dont care what color... clown puke axcepted :smokey: )air bubblers, fish food, and medications. When we rescue a fish we may have to pay for the fish so we are asking that if you are to adopt a fish you make a minimum donation of 10$ or donate some eqipment you are not using as long as it is acceptable.

We think this is a need due to the plethora of fish that are "flushed" or destroyed because there is no other option. I will be in charge of Red Deer and Area, and also Calgary. we cant take a bunch of fish just yet but we want to put our selves out there and see what type of response there is in our local fish communities. we know it is going to be alot of work but there is always people looking for a fish that some one doesnt want. so instead of buying a baby fish why not rescue a fish that is a little larger then what you would get at a LFS.

we will be setting up a proper e-mail address and paypal account under our chosen name (when we choose one) so if you want to make a donation online you can.

Thank you for putting up with my rambling.

Amy

forgot to mention water conditioner gunna need alot of that. Prime prefered.

Edited by SkyGrl

Wow good on you for setting this up !

hope all goes well, sounds awesome !

i have some heaters that id like to exchange for some fish, so when you get setup id love to help out

I think that is a good idea as well. Make sure to pass along your info to Red Deer's local pet stores and Olds because they rarely take in surrendered fish and are responsible for alot of needless flushing of babies and healthly adults that outgrown their tanks...I am sure of it!!!

hello everyone!

some of you may know me on here already but let me introduce myself officially. My name is Amy and I am from Red Deer. I am a fish addict... HA!

over the last couple years i have personally rescued many fish that were unwanted or were not being taken care of properly. Candice and I have seen a need for a fish rescue for a while but have decided that this is a good time as any to start one officially. Currently we are working with a animal rescue, who is helping us set up our rescue organization an providing what limited space she can spare. Our goal is to rescue and rehome fish that are being abused or are unwanted or are a "problem" fish (beating up the prize gouramis).

We are just getting equipment together right now (between us we have a number of unused tanks), setting up and cycling the empty tanks. we are looking for donations of tanks, heaters, filters, lights, substrate (no we dont care what color... clown puke axcepted :smokey: )air bubblers, fish food, and medications. When we rescue a fish we may have to pay for the fish so we are asking that if you are to adopt a fish you make a minimum donation of 10$ or donate some eqipment you are not using as long as it is acceptable.

We think this is a need due to the plethora of fish that are "flushed" or destroyed because there is no other option. I will be in charge of Red Deer and Area, and also Calgary. we cant take a bunch of fish just yet but we want to put our selves out there and see what type of response there is in our local fish communities. we know it is going to be alot of work but there is always people looking for a fish that some one doesnt want. so instead of buying a baby fish why not rescue a fish that is a little larger then what you would get at a LFS.

we will be setting up a proper e-mail address and paypal account under our chosen name (when we choose one) so if you want to make a donation online you can.

Thank you for putting up with my rambling.

Amy

forgot to mention water conditioner gunna need alot of that. Prime prefered.

Have you got in touch with your local SPCA as well as CAOAC?? SPCA does do "fish rescue" and CAOAC does too. Good for you!! Caring about the fish is awesome!!

we will be a No Kill "fish shelter" ill put the word out in olds and red deer so that ppl have a better option. i know in red deer our spca does rescue fish but they dont go on kijiji and search out for the ppl who are saying "need this fish gone or its down the toilet"

just talking to locals in blackfalds i have rescued around 30 fish over 2 years. i have been able to rehome them or we have kept them in our tanks if they fit in the scheme of things. i think its a nessesity to have knowledgable people who care about fish, no matter the color shape or size. we will be quarentining all our fish and taking in sick fish. i know Candice has reversed hole in the head on one of her oscars (after many many different combos of nutrient supplements and diet changes. she makes all her own food now.) i really hope that we can get alot of good response from the community. thanks everyone :)

Amy

i actually put ads on kijiji for unwanted fish in edmonton and iv get a lot of response !

id love to do a simler thing for edmnton

my friend candice is setting it up in edm but i know she will be looking for foster homes. once we get our stuff all set up and we start quarentine the fish, we will be finding foster home until we find permanent homes. im sure we could work together. :P that would be awesome!

Amy

thanks mirko! :) i know i could count on you! :thumbs:

i will update this thread regularly. with pics of fish to be adopted too. or maybe i should start a thread in the livestock classifieds... opinions? :blush:

Amy