Breeding Cherry Shrimp

Wingin' It

I was doing my rounds today, and I stopped in at a LFS and instructed the employee to grab me several Red Cherry Shrimp. We chit chatted a bit, as the shrimp were being caught...and the individual tells me, "you know...these shrimp require brine to hatch." At first I thought I misunderstood, and asked, "whaaaaa??" since everything I had read and thought was that they in fact did not require salt to successfully breed/hatch the eggs.

So my question to those of you who successfully breed Red Cherry Shrimp is...Do you use salt to breed these guys?!

In the past 2 weeks, I have caught close to 100 shrimp out of my RCS tank, and I have always added enough salt to keep the specific gravity at 1.000 (that means no salt :ph43r: )

Your LFS employee is sadly misinformed. I have literally had thousands of little shrimp and never used even a sprinkle of salt. Keeping a stable environment, plenty of places for young to hide, and quality feed, are some of the most important things.

I KNEW IT! DANG GUY!!! lol...I rarely trust LFS employees I don't know...I don't know him...he sounded so confident in his statement. Gut instinct prevails ;)

Thanks for the confirmation everyone!

Edited by Wingin' It

I recently bought CRS from a member of this forum and they have bred. I added about 1/4 teasppon of aquarium salt to their 20 gallon tank about 6 months ago. So with all the water changes since, and the fact we moved and tossed out 50% of that tanks water, I would say that salt is not needed.