Any Interest For Excel Replacement?

jcgd

I found a source for the active ingredient in Flourish Excel and if I can get enough people interested I could offer 2L bottles of mixture for $5-10. I will have to test it on my own tank for a few weeks first but there should be no issues as it would pretty much just be generic excel. I was at the LFS today and a 2L bottle of excel was around 35 bucks so the savings are substantial.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks, Justin

Is it more than Glutaraldehyde ?

No. glutaraldehyde is essentially what excel is. I would get a super concentrated mixture of it at dilute it to excel strengths in distilled water. The chemical itself can be pretty dangerous until it's diluted down.

some medical supply stores carry metricide which is what i'm thinking that your talking about. The only excel alternative that i know of. ON BCA we have a sponsorship with a medical supply store called Bowers medical, they sell a 4.5 L for about 20$ . I'm sure if you got enough interest you might be able to get that price down even further and then they could ship it to you. Lots and lots of people on Bca are using this with good results, but it is a pretty diluted solution so care must be taken.

Shawn

Edited by Nicklfire

some medical supply stores carry metricide which is what i'm thinking that your talking about. The only excel alternative that i know of. ON BCA we have a sponsorship with a medical supply store called Bowers medical, they sell a 4.5 L for about 20$ . I'm sure if you got enough interest you might be able to get that price down even further and then they could ship it to you. Lots and lots of people on Bca are using this with good results, but it is a pretty diluted solution so care must be taken.

Shawn

Metricide I believe is about 2.7 times stronger than excel.but the active ingredient is the same. The solution I would be getting is lab quality, 25% strength. To understand the strengh, 120ml of this stuff makes the 2L of excel strengh solution. Strong stuff. I believe it would be more cost effective as I would only need one bottle shipped and since its liquid, the equivalent amount of metricide would me more to ship as I would need to ship about 80 liters of it.

I think I can essentially get everyone a multi year supply for pocket change.

excel is a aquarium product used to supplement carbon rather then dosing co2.. these other "medical" chemicals... are pretty much the same stuff just more powerful and not typically used in aquariums until someone figured out its the same stuff almost..

There are always health concerns using these type of products.. even excel is not supposed to come in contact with your skin.