Asolene Spixi Snails - The Hydra Tamer

DanGofCalgary

I just have to write something up on these guys and get this good information out, over and over again.

The best way to describe this is

How do you tell your asolene spixi snail has died? You see hydra in the tank.

Last night was doing a bit of maintenance on my aphyosemion australes tank and saw a hydra.That is odd, I thought. I checked the asolene spixi in the tank, and unfortunately he had died. Until then though, he has kept hydra completely under control in that tank, by himself. As soon as he was dead (and he hadn't been dead for long) the hydra was popping out. I put another asolene spixi in the tank, and I doubt I will see hydra again unless this one dies.

For me, once I get hydra in my system, it is going to spread. I am just too sloppy with transfers, net cleaning - all that good fishkeeping hygiene. I suck at it. I also suck at laundry and doing dishes, so no surprise! I need help. With laundry, my wife agreed years ago (when I mixed reds and whites and all her and my clothes ended up pink) that she would handle laundry, and I would handle car repairs, yard maintenance etc. It was a good deal, and we've both stuck to it. With hydra, I have outsourced the control of it to asolene spixi!

Now, every tank that I feed brine shrimp to (breeders, fry tanks etc.) gets an asolene spixi (and a shrimp, but that is the subject of another post) in it. And I hardly ever see hydra, unless something happens to the 'watchsnail' in the tank.

Dan

Ha ha I put a spixi snail in my planted tank and you bet he took care of the hydra ! But the little SOB took it upon itself to think my glosso and dwarf hairgrass was to tall and mowed it ! Well that was enough of that ! Off to the blackwater tank he went ! if he finds a plant in there he is more then welcome to buffet world it !

Blake

The spixis I got from Dan have eaten holes in my onion plants, but haven't (so far!) touched the swords, crypts, java fern or anubias.

I still have hydra though...

Update: have been hydra-free for about a week now =) Guess they just needed some time to get settled!

(BTW Thanks for the great snails Dan!)

Edited by aonyx

Where do these hydra come from? I've been on the lookout for them ever since I saw a planaria in my tank, thinking, oh no, I'm probably infested with everything now, lol!

My hydra came in on plants from a LPS

Where do these hydra come from? I've been on the lookout for them ever since I saw a planaria in my tank, thinking, oh no, I'm probably infested with everything now, lol!

My hydra came in on plants from a LPS

Creepy...I must have them then because I have acquired soooo many plants from different places. Where would be a good place to spot them? Do they just sit on the plants?

Thanks for answering back!

• 1 month later...