Flood + water changes

vantgE

Is it safe to do a watter change now? I'm thinking it's legal too but maybe correct me if I'm off...

I'm in the northwest and was out of town for the last few days, my father is saying that the watter treatment facilities are overloaded or something and were suposed to be careful with the watter?

Yes I believe there is a water ban on right now.

to much water for the treatment plant to handle right now.

they are telling us not to water anything and to please try to lower house water use

if you think of the chemicals that are gong into the water to try and straighten it out right now, there must be a ton going into it. I wouldn't chance it right now. IMO

:ml:

Edited by Canadbis

Back a couple of months ago they were working on a water main up the street from me. I didn't think anything of it, and did a water change. The next morning, everything was fine.....except the two week old C. afra mbweca fry I had in a plexi breeder cage in with the adults. As nothing was wrong with the water that I could tell, all I can assume is that some heavy metals were stirred up - just enough to kill the fry.

Why not pull up on the internet your local water treatment chemistry. In Edmonton you can pull out dailey chemistry to qualify your tap water. This comes from the EPCOR site and it provides a summary of the major chemical, microbial and physical water parameters of the drinking water (tap water) it will remove all doubt,mmmmm.

Garhan

It may be safe for the fish, but that is not the point. The treatment facilities are overloaded and we are to reduce consumption. I usually do water changes every 10 days - on the 10th , 20th , 30th. My day to change has come and gone. My fish are well cared for and I'm sure that because of that, they can wait another week if they have to.

It may be safe for the fish, but that is not the point. The treatment facilities are overloaded and we are to reduce consumption.

Maybe if one is desperate to do a water change. They can skip bathing for a few days... :lol:

The ban has apparently been eased as of midnight and we may now resume usual indoor use and may water out of doors with hand held containers. Might be able to get away with a water change tomorrow. :) Can water the plants outside with the discarded water.

Man...how lucky I am that I am on well water and my source comes up from 184 feet down. While everyone in town was told not even to bath, I was merrily having baths and doing my water changes as normal. I almost felt guilty....well, maybe not.

My workplace is on town water and I would not do any water changes if I lived in town even if the ban came off (for awhile). Simply because the water smells like a heavily chlorinated swimming pool right now. How would anyone know how many chemicals are not fish-safe in there right now?

If I were in town, I would just stop feeding. No touch! An adult fish can easily live up to 4 weeks without food. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I know some species can't go as long as others)

Of course, your fry are in trouble though. I think this is all over now anyway.

Makes one think how easily the taps can be turned off. I will always be ok unless my well dries up.....and that was happening to people with that drought a couple of years ago.

Good luck to all you town-folk and hope the water settles down for you and the fishies.

:)