toxic sand?

cichlidkid

ok I have been using washed playsand mixed with sanitized natural sand for a while in my fishtank. I went to riverfront and the people there told me theat toxins would slowly leach out and kill my fish. is this true or just a marketing thing? if it is or you believe it could be a hazard what sand could I use and where could I get it?

Haven't heard of that before. However the sanitized sand makes me wonder what it is sanitized with? That could be a potential problem. Many people here have used play sand w/o problems. Myself, I have been using pool filter sand for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems. Bought it from Western Pump across from the Silver Dollar on 42 Ave SE. $13 for a 50 lb. bag.

Possibly they were referring to the potential of anaerobic bacteria building up to toxic levels in 'deep' sand beds. Perhaps you should ask them exactly what type of toxins they are referring to.

I have heard that sand blasting sand is somethings partially made from recycled glass. Not sure what percentage but might be worth looking into for those who use the stuff!!!!!

Have not heard that, but even if it is, the glass would be sterile at that point. Besides, I have used it for years and years without any incident, so no worries there.