Trout?

We have decided to set up our large tank we will be getting as a coldwater trout aquarium!

Hope that doesn't seem lame or anything, but I have always liked these fish. I could use a bit of advice though, if anyone has kept these before.

I am going to have to create a chiller that will drop the tank to hopefully 45-50 deg. range, and great filtration, lots of flow.

Other than that, I don't know a helluva lot here. I would like it to look as natural as possible, and hopefully farm-raised trout will be somewhat sociable with us?

We would like to keep no more than 6 in a 328 gallon, perhaps a couple browns, cutthroat, brook, or rainbows-not sure what can be purchased.

(I don't want to risk catching wildcaught, and transporting them-I got in enough s#@t last week from an offical for trying to collect substrate in Kootney National Park :lol: OPPS!

As well, any ideas as to what else could ever be stocked with them to act as a clean-up crew?

We will most-likely keep our current freshwater fish in a separate tank as well. (not to worry Darcy, we won't freeze that huge pleco you gave us) :mad:

Any suggestions would be great!

There are a number of different suckers in the rivers/streams of Alberta, though I have no idea where you'd find a full listing of anything like that. Quillback suckers are quite nice looking, and would probably help with much of the left over food. You may even be able to find/order a sturgeon, as I read somewhere that there is one type that has been 'bred' in captivity for the fish hobby.

Good luck with it, and you'll have to keep us posted with pics!

It would be illegal to keep any wlid caught alberta fish.

It would be illegal to keep any wlid caught alberta fish.

I know. I wouldn't risk something that dumb. I don't think they would make it long anyway, in a livewell/cooler, especially after being hooked. Too much stress, and temp. change I would guess. I guess that brings up another question-how to transport from the fish farm?

The basement, eh? O.K.

We have lots of water on the well.l

Hmmm. That's something I was unaware of. How does one go about getting that permit? I figure I will need to have it in place in order to even purchase these fish then. Do you have to contact the Fish and Game Assocation?

Yes, you will need it first....just contact your local F&W office.

Hmmm.  That's something I was unaware of.  How does one go about getting that permit?  I figure I will need to have it in place in order to even purchase these fish then.  Do you have to contact the Fish and Game Assocation?

Yes, you will need it first....just contact your local F&W office.

Just talked to a fellow that is involved in this sort of thing.....turns out you will probably need a research permit, which will require you to write up and submit a research paper....I understand that these permits are difficult to obtain.

Thanks for the good news. :tongue:

It seems like these trout are a royal pain in the a@#!

I have been to Waterwolves.com and I guess they are a little braver with authority there. Those guys keep everything they catch! :w00t:

Oh well, it can't be THAT bad-I haven't had to write a research paper since High School.