Moss'

Jayba

I know there are a few ways to grow moss. I am just wondering how people grow their moss? I have never had it flourish. I have java and flame moss in a high tech hi light tank, and it grows slowly. I also have it in a low light basic tank and it grows slowly.

Is there a magic combo I am missing? So if you successful moss people could give a breakdown of the moss you have, some ferts specs, tank specs and lighting maybe I can get this stuff to thrive. Not to mention others could benefit from it too, thanks. Jay

I just put it in my tank glued it to a flower see my post about it spike moss hut. I dose the full line of seachem except excel with 208 w of t5ho on 12 hr a day

Co2 is about 1.5 -2 BPS. my tank is way over filtered with 2 eheim pro 3 filters ones a 2075 and a 2073.

It is my first time ever growing moss and it seams happy in my tank.

I know there are a few ways to grow moss. I am just wondering how people grow their moss? I have never had it flourish. I have java and flame moss in a high tech hi light tank, and it grows slowly. I also have it in a low light basic tank and it grows slowly.

Is there a magic combo I am missing? So if you successful moss people could give a breakdown of the moss you have, some ferts specs, tank specs and lighting maybe I can get this stuff to thrive. Not to mention others could benefit from it too, thanks. Jay

You're right, moss is slow. Even when it's growing "fast "it's slow. My mosses are growing well in my nano tanks because the light is quite bright. My christmas moss has spread into a failry dense canopy of about 3-4 inches around in about 2 months. I don't use ferts or CO2 in those tanks so I would assume the growth would be faster if I did. In my low light tank my java moss is growing so slow I can't even tell if it's growing. My med light tank has java moss as well. I dose with Flourish (the amount they recommend on the bottle) each week and the moss is doing pretty good. I've thinned it out a few times already.

i have flame moss, christmas moss and java moss. i gotta say the java moss has been the slowest for me. it also is in a almost no light tank... the light i have on my 40 is much to short and i figure the moss can suffer. my flame moss and chistmas moss are in my 15gallon. i have a GLO HO light hanging a foot above the tank and i have to trim it 2 -3 weeks. the flame moss will gow out of the tank if i dont trim it withing the 2-3 weeks. i rarely dose/ maybe once a month... and a much smaller dose then what the flourish bottle tells me. if you want to try christmas moss let me know. ill give you some when i trim it again :)

Amy

I find if you ignore them, the next thing you know they'd overtake your tanktongue2.gif

They do grow pretty slowly, but like the previous posts said, if you attach them to woods and other objects I do find them grow just a bit faster.

I find if you ignore them, the next thing you know they'd overtake your tanktongue2.gif

They do grow pretty slowly, but like the previous posts said, if you attach them to woods and other objects I do find them grow just a bit faster.

What's the best way to attach Flame moss to driftwood?

Krazy glue. Brand name only! Much better than thread since no tyeing, and no potential loose threads in future that may strangle your fish(BN plecco chewed through my cotton thread and then got the loose end wrapped around his neck and cutting into his gills but he`s alive and healthy now cuz i caught it sooo quick) Krazy glue works amazingly well, it was designed for medical use aka wound closing so it`s fish tank safe too.

I agree with everyone else on the speed thing, As long as it`s free of algae which can be a problem since it grows sooo slowly, i`ll take a while if you are watching it but if you forget about it next thing you know it`s taken over. the Stuff i glued on wood seems to grow faster than the other stuff, could be my imagination though, There are other things you can do with it like glue it to a plastic screen and have a natural background, you can even take that plastic mesh and shape it into hills or rock shapes and glue it like that or a moss coverd rock look.

have fun

L

Ummm, my java moss is growing like duckweed... Okay, it's in a high light tank with CO2 and regular ferts and lots of current. As for attaching moss, I like the Tailored Aquatics aquaglue. It rocks!!

Yes, Sulphur is a macro required by all plants.. . read on,

Took a bit to find this one. The trouble with remembering everything 'ya read is remembering where you read it !

"I don’t recommend the use of potassium sulfate (KHSO4). There are some reasons. The first one is that if you add this macro, the NO3 will be uptaken and as soon as you reach zero you will have algae issues. The main goal I think is to avoid this situation. The idea, , , is to have a stable water chemistry where we know we are always close to GSA. If we add K this stability disappears.

On the other hand, it is better to do not add sulfur when we can avoid it. Bacteria oxidation may produce sulfuric acid. Of course, if you add a lot of Fe you alter the redox ratio and this problem is neutralized but it is simpler just to limit the addition of sulfur.

If you have hard water, you probably already have more that enough sulfur and adding more with the fertilizing may produce Grey Hair Algae ."

found here

Post 211 C) Potassium

whether you add k from k2so4 or KCI your still adding k.. the difference is chloride or sulphur...both can be used i will not argue that...so are you saying CI is the key or lack of sulphur...our tap water is similar im guessing and it contains 55ppm of sulphur...already very non limting....is it not easier to add iron based on what he says due to our already high sulphate....

the problem i have is when you make these statements is that thousands of tanks out there use k2so4 without any issues..me included.. why does it not cause gray hair algae??. why do i do different... I dose kno3,k2so4, and kh2po4...thats alot of k...I also dose iron daily...so if going by what Christian is saying I should have all kinds of problems..but i don't...why is that?...my calcium to magnesium ration is 3:1...my tanks go against everything he stresses...yet still no algae..it only takes one tank to debunk a myth and im just one of many...

worrying about nutrient ratios are the biggest waste of time..this is not hydroponics...i don't eat things out of my tank except the occasional cherry shrimp...Im not worried about fruit yeild or taste so nutrients mean little in excess...

Edited by ubr0ke