Angelfish Fry (Update)

Ghostface

You are probably losing fry after your brine shrimp culture is older than 36 hrs. I don't use a culture after that because I ran into a similar problem. Your fry look good.

I keep them in the fridge, from what I've read on several forums this is a common thing people do, didn't know that would have any impact. Thanks for the heads up.

So, do you have 3 hatchery's going then for each of your feedings? I am running 2 of them, 1st one at 7:30 am - 2nd at 11pm, I feed 7:30am 5pm and 11pm

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Been a while since I posted any pictures. I haven't had any more fry die until today. I got home from work and fished out 12 dead, and half dead fry at the bottom of the tank...not really sure why, all I can think of is a bad batch of BBS. I have been adding crushed flakes over the last week with the BBS feedings. They seem to be eating it all up. I started giving only crushed flakes in the morning feeding for the past few days. I think my tank is getting a bit overpopulated, the fry are getting fairly large, and I have a ton of em.

Here are some more pictures. First one is fry at day 39, the rest I took tonight, which would be day 49. At what point can I start selling / giving away these guys? I'm also thinking about selling / trading the parents, and getting a Philippine Pair from Fairdeals.

Day 39

fry39days1.jpg

fry39days4.jpg

Day 49

frytank49days2.jpg

fry49days3.jpg

fry49days4.jpg

If they're dime sized & eating flake food they're ready to go. Before you sell them, cull anything with short gill plates or any other deformities. I cull them as I find deformities as fish that are deformed become a waste of tank space & are not marketable to retailers or other hobbyists. I'm assuming from your pictures that you shut your aeration off to take pictures. With as many fry as you have in your tank, vigorous aeration is important. If you don't have sufficent aeration this could be why you are suffering dead loss. It could be a number of other things such as water quality or a bacterial infection. The tank looks crowded so splitting them into another tank to relieve over crowding them may be a good idea until you get them sold.

I been culling yesterday and today....I probably removed about 20-30 that had short gills (still have at least 100+ left, didn't even put a dent into the population :P)...not really sure what else to look for, but I remember seeing something about culling on the angelfish.net forums, so I will check there. They are eating a ton of flake now, heaing 100 snaps on the surface when they feed is pretty funny and exciting. I been hand feeding them some frozen BBS cubes, they love it. Every once in a while they will tap my finger thinking its food hehe.

I usually shut off the sponge and hang on filters during feeding as I dont want to waste the food, plus with the hang on circulation it gets messy all over the tank. No more have died since the mysterious deaths which I'm pretty sure was due to a bad batch of BBS.

Rebel, its natural that some eggs will turn white, if you want to check to see if your eggs are fertile just pull them once you see that they have finished, and are fanning the eggs. If they are new parents, it will take them anywhere from 2 to 5 days (or in some cases never) before they will get the hang of it. If you see that the eggs turn white after just 2-3 hours then maybe they are doing something wrong. If you see that they are slowly turning white over time, its most likely just fungus, which either means that your water quality is bad, and or your parents arent eating the white eggs preventing fungus from spreading to other eggs nearby. Either way, one sure way to check is to pull the eggs, throw them in a 5-10 gallon tank, use an air stone or just the tube and stick it near the eggs, add some anti-fungi and wait 48 hours and check for wigglers (hard to see, you really have to look close).

What kind of tank setup are your Angels in? Are they in a breeder tank or community?

Thanks for the replys

@ghost thanks for the info. they are in a breeder tank. my other two in the community tank laid eggs also in the HOB tube. its was just yesterday morning and 80% are white right now.lol. I will try removing the eggs the next time they lay eggs. I think the male doesn't fertilize the eggs. but I read unfertilized eggs turned white in a matter of hours. is that right? thanks

@ghost thanks for the info. they are in a breeder tank. my other two in the community tank laid eggs also in the HOB tube. its was just yesterday morning and 80% are white right now.lol. I will try removing the eggs the next time they lay eggs. I think the male doesn't fertilize the eggs. but I read unfertilized eggs turned white in a matter of hours. is that right? thanks

I suspect this is a water quality issue which requires an anti fungal to solve, you also may have a young or inexperienced male that needs more practice but they'll eventually get it right. A clean bare bottom tank with regular water changes works best to accomplish this. After they lay, add your anti fungal & let nature take it's course.

thanks Al. I have been following your tips too. I think it might be water quality too. the pair are in a bb tank on their last attempt. I knew they would lay eggs soon so I ready the meth blue and let nature takes its course.but yeah after a day or so the eggs started to turn white again.

thanks Al. I have been following your tips too. I think it might be water quality too. the pair are in a bb tank on their last attempt. I knew they would lay eggs soon so I ready the meth blue and let nature takes its course.but yeah after a day or so the eggs started to turn white again.

Dont use the meth blue if your going to leave the parents in the tank to take care of the eggs. I've heard that meth blue damages the scales of adults, plus it will dye them blue. Only use it if you place the eggs in its own tank.

Like Al suggested, hydrogen peroxide will be fine with the parents in tank.