Done Stocking A 55 Gallon

DragonNeko

Hello, I recently got a 55 gallon tank, and I want to do a lot of planning to make sure I set it up right. I've never had a tank over 20 gallons, so this is a challenge. I know I'd like to get some more Corydoras (a school of 6+), a nice piece of driftwood, lot's of plants, and the fish I currently have in my 20 gallon (which is going to be taken down when the 55 is up). My current stock in the 20 gallon is 2 Mollies, 1 Oto Catfish, 2 Corydoras, and some female Endlers...4 I think. I want a peaceful community tank. I have no experience with aggressive fish, other than getting a golden algae eater by mistake and having it terrorize my poor fish before I took it back to the store.

Since all the fish I have are smaller, I'd like to get a few slightly larger fish, but it seems that every larger fish I find is aggressive. I really like the kribensis, plecos (I plan to get a smaller species of pleco, but the ones I know of are $70+, are there any cheaper ones? and would they bother the Corydoras?), and angelfish. I have no idea what they all go good with. I won't be adding too much to the tank until' I get lot's of cover for the fish to feel comfortable. Other than the Corydoras, and maybe one larger fish (if I can), I'll be waiting at least a few months til' I add more fish. I want to be prepared, and know what I'm buying. I don't want another incident like with the golden algae eater! I'm not against having semi-aggressive fish though. My Dalmation Molly can be a bully...though oddly only to other mollies, lol Also this way I can save up some money, instead of going broke one month from buying fish, lol

Also, where are some good places to get driftwood? and what should I look for? I don't want fake ornaments in this tank. Want it to be natural looking like my 10 leader. I was thinking of adding some stone as well. I have some nice slate I'll be adding, and some clay pots. I really don't have much to put in this tank...If I were to set it up now it'd be a barren wasteland, with a handful of small fish that would't know what to do with all that space to themselves, lol

Any and all advice is greatly appriciated!

Edited by DragonNeko

plecos (I plan to get a smaller species of pleco, but the ones I know of are $70+, are there any cheaper ones? and would they bother the Corydoras?), and angelfish. I have no idea what they all go good with.

The most popular (IMO) is the Bristlenose/Busynose Pleco...the males top out around 8"?? Which really isn't that big when compared to some of the other plecos such as common ones. They're also fairly inexpensive and wonderful at eating algae and anything else that reaches the substrate. IME, they won't/don't get aggressive towards other fish, just males against other males and even then, if there are multiple hidey holes, it's not that bad.

Candy Stripe plecos are nice and stay small - I used to see them for less than $10, but lately they're around the $20 mark. BN Plecos max out around 5".

For bigger fish, I'd go with Angels; 2-4 would be a good number. Then just increase the # of what you have (up to 6 mollies, 4 Ottos, 12 Corys and 12 Endlers).

I have gotten some good deals on DW at AquaGiant - some of their larger pieces are often $20 or less, and it sinks imediately.

plecos (I plan to get a smaller species of pleco, but the ones I know of are $70+, are there any cheaper ones? and would they bother the Corydoras?), and angelfish. I have no idea what they all go good with.

The most popular (IMO) is the Bristlenose/Busynose Pleco...the males top out around 8"?? Which really isn't that big when compared to some of the other plecos such as common ones. They're also fairly inexpensive and wonderful at eating algae and anything else that reaches the substrate. IME, they won't/don't get aggressive towards other fish, just males against other males and even then, if there are multiple hidey holes, it's not that bad.

I didn't know the Bristlenose Plecos didn't grow that big. I'll keep those in mind! Thank you :)

Candy Stripe plecos are nice and stay small - I used to see them for less than $10, but lately they're around the $20 mark. BN Plecos max out around 5".

For bigger fish, I'd go with Angels; 2-4 would be a good number. Then just increase the # of what you have (up to 6 mollies, 4 Ottos, 12 Corys and 12 Endlers).

I have gotten some good deals on DW at AquaGiant - some of their larger pieces are often $20 or less, and it sinks imediately.

I thought the Candy Stripe Pleco's would cost about the same as Leopard Frog Plecos...this is good to know! I love those ones. I love the Zebra pleco, and would love to have one as similar as possible within my current price range.

What sex ratio should I have for Angels? I've read they can get aggressive. How should I set the tank up to avoid aggression in them?

Where in the city is AquaGiant? I think I've heard of it before, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping to make a trip to Aquarium Central soon, and I was going to check there prices for Driftwood.

i can set you up with some cutting of plants next weekend weekend of June 3. I just did a big hack job on my 75 gallon tank last wee and i am just starting to see growth. what kinds of lights and co2 are you running?

That's very generous, but I the tank doesn't have water in it yet, or a stand to put it on, lol I got a C02 with the tank, but I'm giving it to a friend. I don't wanna try messing around with that right now, and I haven't checked the lights yet. I'm also going to be busy that weekend, helping my in-laws get ready for their auction. I think I'll be busy the weekend after too. Which is too bad, cause I'd love to get some more plants :( I probably could've put some clippings in the 20 gallon for now.