Signs Of Birth

Raven

Guppies and Amecas are my 2 live bearer species. And though i have read a lot on guppies, i haven't been all that satisfied with this topic. With the Amecas, info is a bit harder to get, and some of it I'm not sure i trust.

I have noticed regular fating and thinning with my Ameca girl. I have been watching and watching but so far haven't seen any sign of when i should put her in a net to birth her young. So far I have only seen Ameca fry once, and the other fish (the dwarf cichlids) ate them so I've been really trying to catch a good time, unsuccessfully. As far as the mating behavior goes, i have see a lot of the shake dancing they do, but no actual joining that i know of, other then she slowly gets fat again. Then skinny, it's been quite frustrating. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, and the fat and thin cycle is based on food intake, and the boy is shooting blanks.

With the guppies i so far have been watching the G spots. Once i noticed that one girls triangle was more square and a bit of a protrusion happening i started watching for a couple of days to see if she'd drop. She didn't and she's now in a net, and I'm still waiting, almost a week later. Her previous batch are about 5 weeks old now, so she should be ready. Why does it take so long? Why when I'm positive babies are coming, so i prepare, does nothing happen too? ( happened with 2 other girls).

I know with Ameca the hold for about 90 days and guppies about 30, so i loosely time things to help predict stuff to, but right now it seems impossible! Bah!

I usually check for when the females are staying still for most of the time. I find that they usually give birth when the lights go out as well. I actually don't even put my females in a net to birth, but just keep lots and lots of plants around for the fry to hide in. I think if a female feels stressed, she can probably prolong the birth of her fry, but i'm not entirely sure about that. Just an observation i've had.

If you have a fry tank, put a gravid female in there witha unraveled poof. The extra space and ample cover will make her more comfortable than a net.

Hmm.... i need more plants.... She has a nice wad of java moss in with her though, seemed to help easy her stress the last time ( and she was in a fish net freaking out that time). Also it seems that if they're are separated they get stressed, so this time it's the breed net in the main tank.

I agree with both Wingin It and Jvision... lots of plants that both momma and fry can hide in would help lots in a tank with other occupants that can eat the fry or a fry tank would be much better than a net. How big is this net you have your guppy in? I think that would be very stressing which could be keeping her from dropping.

Sounds like your Ameca girl has an eating disorder? I blame the media.

By the way whats an unraveled poof?