Is Eheim Any Good?

Sprucegruve

For that size of tank I would go with a Rena XP4. They are user friendly ,reliable and cost much less than a large Eheim.

If you're into modifies, an FX5 with an internal mod gives you the most filtering capacity for a canister, and it has higher flow than most other filters.

For 180 gal, why not a sump? waaaaay more filtering capacity depending on what you are putting into the tank. IMHO if you use just one filter even if it is rated for the volume you may find you have dead spots in the tank. Also given that I subscribe to the more filter, more better philosophy I'd say do 2 filters, one on each end. Just my 2 cents

I always use 2 filters,I need a good current for my plecos,

Don't have a problem buying 2 of the Rena or the eheim

Which is better?

Also what do you mean mod the filter? Is it hard? I'll concider this

Do a search for FX5 mods, and you should find a link to the FX5 Mod site - it has all kinds of modifications you can do, including one to get close to 4 gal of biomedia in there. If you can't find it, I'll post the link when I get home.

Do a search for FX5 mods, and you should find a link to the FX5 Mod site - it has all kinds of modifications you can do, including one to get close to 4 gal of biomedia in there. If you can't find it, I'll post the link when I get home.

Thanks for the info, I may want to do this with minethumbup.gif

I love the power and size of my fx5 but I despise the tubing it uses. Its an odd size, 1"outside diameter and who knows what inside diameter. And the ribbed tuning sucks to mate a good seal to anything.