Is Eheim Any Good?

Sprucegruve

I love the power and size of my fx5 but I despise the tubing it uses. Its an odd size, 1"outside diameter and who knows what inside diameter. And the ribbed tuning sucks to mate a good seal to anything.

That's exactly why te first thing I do when I get an FX5 is run 3/4" PVC lines. I have yet to do an internal mod, as I've always had these on heavily planted tanks - the biofilter would be wasted. But once I get my 120 cleaned out, I'll be going for an internal mod.

Can' go wrong with the Fluvals or the Eheims (in my opinion, I am sold on these 2 brands). They both cost more. You get what you pay for. I have been running the Fluval FX5 and the Eheim 2028 Professional II in my 180 gal for quite a few years with no problems. They are both silent running in my opinion. Excellent water quality as well. If you are not in a hurry to get the filters why not do more research on them. Check out www.petsandponds for pricing. Big Als usually have good year end Boxing Day deals on the Eheims

I'm thinking of going with the eheim Professionel 3 XL. I can't find anything bad about it

I have been doing alot of reading about moding the fx5 and most of the mods would be easy to do, but some of them look like they'r more of a pain than it's worth.

FX5 is rated for 400gal, but I don't know anyone who'd use it ad the only filter on a 400gal. I think I'd probably double up after 200

2xfx5 wouldent be bad.

I usually run two filters on all of my tanks,like laurensdad said if something goes wrong with one the other keeps going.

But I'm really good on filter maintenance, I have never had one of my filters stop, or had any problem with them for any matter.

It's Down to this so far.

Either 2X fx5

Or the Ehime pro 3 XL and a smaller Ehime running as well