Sherwood Park Water Has Ammonia

Sherwood Park gets its water from Edmonton, who treat their water with Chloramine (a combination of chlorine and ammonia). I don't know the exact method of how its added here, but I know in some places, they actually add chlorine and ammonia separately. You'll probably get an ammonia reading most of the time from the tap.

I do not add ammonia to my rays tank. This is why i test the tap water weekly. 9 times out of ten it reads 0ppm i mean yelllow as yellow can be. Sometimes it tests a shade of green, very light. But yesterday it was green!

I dont think adding water with 1 ppm is good, treated with prime or not. I will wait a day or so and hope the levels drop

what i am saying is that Prime makes ammonia convert to ammonium. Ammonium is perfectly safe for your fish. your test kit will still pick up the ammonium on the ammonia test, but if you have used Prime at the proper dosage (or even a little more) then you have no worries on any ammonia touching your fish.

during spring run-off, i too noticed ammonia in the tap water. dosed a bit extra Prime during water changes, and had no issue at all with any of my fish.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

I've just read this and am wondering if that's why I've lost 2 CRS within the last week. It happened after I did my usual water change of 50%. I'm sad, I've been having such good luck with them breeding and doing well up until this point. I'm not going to do a water change this week if the ammonia is still in the tap water.