My 90G Rescaping

Crystal

I got bored with my old setup, and decided to rescape it and make it a Multie tank with some Cyprichromis Leptosoma Utinta.

Old setup:

Jan20116.jpg

Emptied tank:

Setup-July20114.jpg

New background:

Setup-July20115.jpg

Siliconing sand down so I won't see glass when the multis dig:

Setup-July20116.jpg

Setup-July2011.jpg

Young cyps - I could only find 3 young ones, I believe all are female. Will get more when I can find them - anyone know where to get yellow tailed Utinta?

newcyp.jpg

Multi males - here is one of my 2 huge exiled male multis, about 2.5" long. I have 3 more males, 3 females, and several fry in a 20g, I will add the adults to the 90g when my 12 wild caught multies arrive at the end of July :D My other male has always used the rocks and I have never seen him in a shell, despite the fact that there are 10 huge muffin shells in there that he could easily fit into.

MaleMulti2.jpg

And what everyone has been waiting for - the full tank shot:

FulltankshotJuly2011.jpg

TankJuly20112.jpg

Left side:

TankJuly2011.jpg

Right side:

TankJuly20111.jpg

I will post more pictures later when the new fish come in. I am having a tough time finding cyps of any kind, let alone Yellow tailed Utinta. They didn't even have any wilds when I ordered the Multis or I would have bought a couple. I will add more shells when I add the other Multis, just to keep the big males off balance so the newbies can settle in.

Edited by Crystal

Looks good....Adding some anubias nana to the rocks would be a very nice contrast..

There are actually 5 small anubias and about 10 java fern glues to the rocks and more to the background. They will grow given time - the high lighting and co2 don't hurt either. ;)

Have you cornered the shell market? :hey:

Not quite. Although there are a few dollaramas on the west side that are sold out of whaleseye shells. 16 shells for $1 :thumbs: I have far more shells on a shelf which I will add when the new multis to arrive.

Nice looking tank!

When you siliconed the sand down did you just spread the silicone with a putty knife and then a fine layer of sand?

Thanks.

Yes, I used those big tubes of 100% silicone from the hardware store, squeezed it on, and used a plastic putty knife to spread it. Sprinkled down 1/2" of sand and pressed it in. I used one of those drywall hand sanders to press it in. If it isn't pressed in, it can easily rub off with energetic fish. My 90g took two 300ml tubes, although I also added my background, which took about 1/2-3/4 a tube.

• 5 months later...

It has been a few months, so here is an update. I found out afterward that the shipper didn't have any wild multis in stock, so I have no wild multis. I then scoured Kijiji, Calgary, Red Deer, and Edmonton and ended up with a total of 12 multis from 8 sources (and hopefully, different bloodlines). I have used up all of my shells, but the Dollarama only stocks the shells in the summer (June-Aug).

There are well over a hundred fry in the tank, maybe even over 200. As their numbers climb, I notice the older juvies hanging around higher up in the water column - they inhabit the entire bottom half of the tank and nothing is safe when it enters that range. I actually lost a cyp to one of the big male multis.

From 12 to 100+ in half a year... I fail to understand why I had to search so hard to find 12 fish when these fish make rabbits and guppies look modest. Lol.

Tank shot:

DSC03648.jpg

Close up of fry:

DSC03636.jpg

Juvie posing: (with a big male above and Mom below

DSC03645.jpg

Mom with young fry:

DSC03638.jpg

Edited by Crystal

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

start selling those lil buggers

ppl love multies

I know, but I am really starting to miss my planted tank... I am going to pick up a tank for my desk at work and put a couple in there and revert my 90g tank back to a planted tank this spring.

Anyone want some (or a few hundred) multis? I will need the whole colony to be gone by May.

That tank makes me hate myself! What type of light fixture and what type of bulbs are you running?

That was originally a saltwater light fixture for high-light corals (a $500 ATI Sunpower 6-bulb hoT5 from progressivereef, they had a sale on it), I only run two of the bulbs (10,000k and aquablue+ - the plants adore for aquablue+ for some reason). Running all 6 at once will burn out any low light plant and some med-light plants in the tank - I tried once when it was a heavily planted tank - I burned out all my duckweed, java ferns, anubias, and other low light plants; and made almost every surviving plant turn red.

Always considered getting just getting 2-bulb - but the I like how the 2 bulbs are spaced out 6" apart, and it is nearly impossible to beat ATI reflectors.

Flourish excel is a life saver with the plants - algae just melts away (which is a good thing with my lighting).

Edited by Crystal

• 1 year later...