Blue Rams

stsetter

Hi there, I am just getting into SA cichlids (rams) and came across an intriguing question (well for me anyways). Now I used to breed reptiles and have a good understanding of dominant, co-dominate and recessive genes but I am not sure how it applies to fish. I recently picked up a couple Bolivian Red Rams and a couple Electric Blue Rams. Now from my research, the reds and blues won't breed due to different genus families, is this correct? Also, it is my understanding that the Electric Blue Ram is just a "morph" of a GBR. If so, when I get my GBRs is there a chance they may pair off with my Electric Blues? Just curious as I would prefer three or four different pairs of Rams (thinking about golds as well but if you have any suggestions that would be great!)

Golds, Electric Blues and German Blues are all the same species - just different color morphs. So, the will interbreed - there is no guarantee that the colors won't mix. Bolivians are a completely different species, so they will not likely interbreed with the others.

Ok good to know. So if I go with all four (red, blue, electric blue and gold) I will end up with the potential of a mix (with the exception of the reds)? How are apistos? Are they aggressive towards the rams? I was thinking if I do three pairs of rams I would do one pair of apistos just for their colour. Good or bad idea?

apistos are a bit more aggresive than the other rams.

how big of a tank were you thinking of setting up for these guys? there would probably be alot of aggression n this tank so you would need a big one.

there would need to be alot of caves/driftwood/rocks/plants for them to hide in if one is getting picked on.

I will be setting up a 45 bow front with tons of plants, rocks and wood. I will be using mopani wood to help soften the water as I seem to have run out of rainwater lately! Thank goodness! I also have a 5 and 15 set up at the moment. The 5 is almost cycled and ready to go for fry and the 15 currently houses my reds and electric blues. I know this is small for 4 rams so please don't mention it and I am monitoring aggression very closely right now and if the aggression picks up I will be moving one pair (probably the reds as they are a little less fussy about being moved) into the fry tank temporarily. So far so good though! My shrimp seem to be the most aggressive especially at feeding time when they rush out to steal the food! Lol!

I will be setting up a 45 bow front with tons of plants, rocks and wood. I will be using mopani wood to help soften the water as I seem to have run out of rainwater lately! Thank goodness! I also have a 5 and 15 set up at the moment. The 5 is almost cycled and ready to go for fry and the 15 currently houses my reds and electric blues. I know this is small for 4 rams so please don't mention it and I am monitoring aggression very closely right now and if the aggression picks up I will be moving one pair (probably the reds as they are a little less fussy about being moved) into the fry tank temporarily. So far so good though! My shrimp seem to be the most aggressive especially at feeding time when they rush out to steal the food! Lol!

In the wild, dwarf cichlid population densities are CRAZY! Now, your M. ramerezi are so far removed from the wild that they won't remember being crowded, but the M. altispinosus and Apistos are usually closer to their wild ancestry.

Your rams are fine in your 15 for now - if aggression isn't a problem and you have more than adequate filtration. In your 46, make sure you have lots of pots and lots of wood. Each fish should have at one of their own caves - probably 2 ea would be better. Add a bunch of wood on or around your caves. If you're not planning on a high-light tank w. CO2, etc. then add a bunch of Java fern and mosses on your wood (glue, thread or elastics all work well to attach). The plants will give added places to hide and add some nice color contrast.

I will be doing up my 45 with Fluval Flora substrate and sand mixture along with lots of different plants (dwarf hairgrass, baby tears, amazon chain sword, and a few others. I will be running Co2 and am hoping I can figure it how to get two T5's on there with a life-Glo bulb and a marine Glo bulb as I like the way the fish look with that combo) I am hoping to pick up a bunch of rocks this weekend and some mopani wood next week. I've read that rams prefer red rocks, is this true or will any colour work?

• 9 months later...