Hello From Sherwood Park

Newman

Hi,

My wife and I have just started a new 55 gallon tank, we have both wanted a nice fish tank for years now but have never got round to buying one. Recent we were given a little frog in a flower vase! He was happy in there but we decided to get him a 10 gallon tank and some new friends to share his new home.

This is were our new hobby began, so far we have

2 Dwarf Gouramis

5 neon tetras

1 dalmatian molly

6 fancy tail zebra danio's

2 juili catfish

1 platy

1 small angelfish

2 otto catfish

1 inspector pleco

2 pea puffers

2 indian tiger barbs

We lost our first Angel fish yesterday and had him replaced by the shop. We then came home tonight and our black sailfin molly was also dead. I dont know why as our water has been tested 2 at the shop and it is perfect. I just hope and pray we dont lose any more.

Any way that is our tank so far, any advice to us newbies will be appreciated.

We have a selection of live plants as well but i dont know the names of them yet.

Steve and Martine.

We only have a Dalmatian molly left now as our sailfin molly died tonight We will have to back to petsmart tomorrow and get him replaced. We were planning on putting our 6 baby platys in the 55 gallon tank when they are big enough to survive.

I dont know if i will now though if we are going to have some freaky baby's.

I did add a picture to my profile but i dont know where it has gone

Take the advice you get at pet stores with a grain of salt. Most of the time the people workin there have a general knowledge about pets, but have very little experience with fish in particular.

Get a test kit that will test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Most of the master kits will also test hardness, but if you're using tap water, we can assume your water is hard.

What type of filter(s) are you using? If it's just one of those filters with a replaceable cartridge, you'll need to modify it to grow a proper colony of beneficial bacteria. If your tank had been running for just a couple weeks, you may be a little over populated. Do some research on filtration and start a thread in an appropriate forum if you still have some questions.

:welcome: