Fall Auction

Is it true that for the Edmonton auction you are only allowed to sell fish that you have bred yourself ? No store bought or imported fish ?

Is it true that for the Edmonton auction you are only allowed to sell fish that you have bred yourself ? No store bought or imported fish ?

Did you make that up Jorg? :D

no -- that is what I heard

While I'm not sure it's a hard & fast rule (check them out on the ACE website), the main purpose for the auctions is to make help hobbyists free up space in their cramped fishrooms - and of course to raise funds for the club. I know that it happens that people bring in fish from a wholesaler solely for making a profit at the auctions, but it's not common practice.

I have ended up flipping fish to an auction that I just purchased in group orders, but it was either more because I had to buy too many to make the order, or they weren't quite what I was looking for... I usually end up losing money, tho - when most people don't know what it is (ie. they've never seen it at the LFS), they generally don't pay too much for it.

While I'm not sure it's a hard & fast rule (check them out on the ACE website), the main purpose for the auctions is to make help hobbyists free up space in their cramped fishrooms - and of course to raise funds for the club. I know that it happens that people bring in fish from a wholesaler solely for making a profit at the auctions, but it's not common practice.

I have ended up flipping fish to an auction that I just purchased in group orders, but it was either more because I had to buy too many to make the order, or they weren't quite what I was looking for... I usually end up losing money, tho - when most people don't know what it is (ie. they've never seen it at the LFS), they generally don't pay too much for it.

so is that a yes,no or I'm not sure ?

Edited by JORG

That is a definite yes. Many years ago, when we started the auctions, we had some members ( not many)bring in boxes of fish and plants to sell in the auctions. We decided then that this was too commercial and did not want to compete with the retail stores. The retail stores have always supported the club in one way or another and we did not want to jeopardize the good relationship. We enacted this rule. If you buy a fish(es) and decide you want to change your direction, then by all means enter them in the auction. For the most part, we rely on the integrity of club members to respect and abide by the rule. I hope that this has brought clarity to what is allowed and not allowed.

so, what I am 'hearing' is Don't buy an excess of fish specifically with the intent of selling at the auction, and that is to the individual to 'police' themselves. The rule is in place in case the club itself needs to 'regulate' (REGULATORS, MOUNT UP!). In the case that Jvsision has laid out, where a person might bring in extra fish in a group order, to make minimums or such like that, the club will give you some lee way, but if it becomes obvious that a person or persons unknown are flaunting that, and deliberately bypassing, the club will step in, if needed.

If I summarized that correctly, then I can completely see that. While we as hobbyists form a club to promote the hobby, the LFS support us in this hobby, but do anticipate that are enhancing rather than directly and actively competing with them. We are more the 'farmers market' version, and less the supermarket, if I amy use that analogy.

Dan