Odd Fish At Golf Course

Nauticus

So, as the title suggests I was out golfing on the weekend, with gorgeous weather by the way, and when my ball landed at the edge of one of the many water traps noticed thousands of fry in the water. Curious I kept an eye out at the other water traps as the day progressed. Normally this would be Koi, but in this case definitely not. I caught a really good glimpse of the adults in a couple locations and they were defiantly not Koi.

They were considerably bigger even than the monsters I saw in Castle moats when I lived in Japan.

These did however, look a lot like Asian Carp.

Can it be?

I thought that this fish would not be allowed due to the devastation it has caused in NA. Granted these water systems are closed, but still, what if some got out into the very nearby river or tributaries?

Has any one else seen this or am I just crazy?

Yes, a picture would help immensely. Sadly I usually do not golf with a camera on hand. My question was more to do with whether or not this was even reasonable that someone could actually have them and then if it was legal or not.

As we do not have a picture, I could say that being able to tell one fish from another it looked very much like the carp. It had the same dull gun metal gray colouration, the low eyes and large mouth. The fin configuration did seem to match. Scales were visible too.

I thought of asking at the club house, but was somewhat intimated to be honest. It was a tournament day and one of the people is asking about the fish. I know, I know, too self conscious but still it is my reason.

So has anyone noticed this as well?

Edited by Nauticus

Which golf course was it ? I guess it is possible they are just common goldfish. I have seen 12" + in a large pond in Sicamose and they had a drab olive/grey like colour.

Edited by JORG

Grass carp would not be out if the question, we may not have the same restrictions with stocking ponds as other areas of the country because of the devastating winters we get.

Quick, somebody sneak out there like a ninja with a dip net and snag a few specimens for raising and testing. Then we will get to the bottom of this!!! Just joking.

Yes there were tons and tons of little fish. Most of which were about the size of my ring finger.