900Gph Canister For 60G?

jeremoose

Hey all, I recently (awhile back actually) picked up a 60g tank and am just getting around to setting it up. I have the heater, substrate, hood/lights, etc but I'm trying to make a decision on a filtration setup. I was at our local Home Hardware the other day and they had a canister filter designed for a pond on for half price, 160$. The price is fantastic but the flow-rate is published as 900gph. Is this too much? Is anyone else here running something over-filterered this badly? I'm really worried about the water movement since I will be going with a sand bottom and will be stocking with either Angelfish or with my Saulosi's which are ready for a larger tank. Thoughts?

Hey all, I recently (awhile back actually) picked up a 60g tank and am just getting around to setting it up. I have the heater, substrate, hood/lights, etc but I'm trying to make a decision on a filtration setup. I was at our local Home Hardware the other day and they had a canister filter designed for a pond on for half price, 160$. The price is fantastic but the flow-rate is published as 900gph. Is this too much? Is anyone else here running something over-filterered this badly? I'm really worried about the water movement since I will be going with a sand bottom and will be stocking with either Angelfish or with my Saulosi's which are ready for a larger tank. Thoughts?

Unless i am misunderstanding, your turnouver rate is 15x per hour. That is actually the reccomended turnover rate for seahorses (10-15X), which have poor swimming ability. Granted, fresh water is different than salt, but if you are providing an area of low flow with landscaping I don't see why it should be an issue. I am running about 7X in a 50g fresh and it is bareley enough to budge some of the plants about. The filter I am picking up will be 700gph on a 50 and I am not giving it a second thought. Just provide some sheltered area with landscaping and you should be fine.

I have a Fluval FX5 on my 75 and added some koralias for more flow for freshwater. It kinda depends on the type of fish you keep. Angels don't like high flow where they can't get a break. Tetras don't seem to mind whirlpools!

also some filters have flow settings that you can change or you could also split your return hose in 2 and have 2 different flow areas basically reducing one output to half... lots of ways to reduce flow not many i know of to increase it sounds like a good buy to me

Wow alrighty! Lots to think about here. I will definitely check on if it's "tank safe" (leaves oil slicks) and do some more research on the brand as well. It's sounding like the flow will be fine as long as it's setup right though. Thanks everyone.

If it's for a pond, it is fish safe, and if you do get it, you'll be on your way for when you set up a bigger tank. :)

• 1 month later...

That's a great buy! Never thought to check a home hardware store for a pond filter. Have you output flow into something like a pot or inside a fake rock structure to slow it down. Imagination. Make a fountain. Haha