Foam to use over with your filter...

Mods please feel free to move this to where ever you feel this should be.

My question is about the foam that can be put over the intake on an AC filter. The reason i ask... I have bought a couple of AC mini's and plan on using them on a fry tank. Kyle suggested that i used a piece of foam on the intake to a few reasons: the fry won't get sucked up and they can pick at the food that may collect on the filter.

When i was at Big Al's i noticed they had some foam but it $10 for block of it (more than i'll need).

My question is...

is there a better place to buy in Edm?

Maybe another DIY to use this ac mini in the fry tank?

I have also bought 2 sponge filters (another suggestion of kyle) that i plan on using when the fish are small, but then i plan on adding the AC mini's as soon as they can battle the current.

I thought i'd post this here before buying the first peice of foam i saw.

Any suggestions out there on what to buy or use?

Thanks in advance!

nev

In the past ive just used a foam filter insert for the same filter and sliced a hole in the side and put that slid that over the intake kindof like a glove.

Worked like a charm for me. :)

Edited by muck

Check out this thread - RD posted a link to the sponge that I have started using - only problem is Im not sure if it would fit around the intake for a mini. They might make a smaller version I'm not aware of but it works great on 300's and 500's

http://s6.invisionfree.com/AlbertaAquatica...topic=3125&st=0

Edited by thefishdude

I also just use AC sponges on my intakes. I use ACs in all my fry tanks and each one has a AC sponge on its intake. I use the ACs right from when they are spit and they tiny fry don't seem to have any problems with it.

BUt as you can see in that thread i also have a AC sponge in my 15g with sand that doesn't seem to be doing its job very good :angry:

For the fry tanks i'm setting up i won't have any sand in it... possibly just some gravel and leaving most of the glass bottom showing so it will be easy to clean!

Thanks Val for the update!

This is all new for me!

but its great fun!

I hope to have my new 60 gallon tank and 2 - 10gallon tanks up and going very soon!

nev