Filter Question

darrin34

I had 2 fx5 and an ehime running on my 150 gallon and the only thing i had in them was ceramic rings I was running with a bb tank and did 50% water changes but i could tell when i was slacking as the water didnt look as clean i ended up setting up a reactor with just floss in it to polish the water when i needed

I typically run most filters w just biomedia in them and put a coarse sponge over the intake. I do weekly WCs, and rinse the sponge really well each week.

i have 2 fx5 and a xp4 running on my 175 i was wondering if would be ok to remove the sponges from the xp4 and just runn all bio balls ceramic rings and what not . otherwise a strait mechanical filter would that be ok to do ??

Been running my ehiem pro filters this way for decades. I have found that if you leave sponges in side you trap more sediment but then you increase your filter maintenance. If you run straight bio (bio balls and what not) all you have to do to keep the filter clean is shake the filter a bit while running with the return line out of aquarium then all your trap dirt and "stuff" simply drains off .