20 Gal Planted/community Suggestions

rp_dawg

I am planning on setting up a 20 gal tall planted community tank and am looking for some stocking advice/suggestions. My plan was to stick to either asian or SA fish (semi-biotope I guess) and I don't want to be pushing the limits in terms of tank capacity. The SA tank would ideally feature angels, and the asian tank gouramis. Any suggestions?

Also, any links to website with good lists would be appreciated.

Thanks

20 gallon might be a bit small for angels for the SA tank. A better option might be to go for Rams or Apistos with some of the smaller tetras (cardinal etc.), corydoras or otocinclus for your bottom dwellers.

The asian tank gouramis would be ok, and maybe some of the rasboras or danios

For Asian, I'd probably go w a small group of Dwarf Gouramis, a school of 12 or so Galaxy Rasboras, and maybe a few Hara cats or other small bottom dwellers

In Cgy, a few of the LFS should have at least 2 or 3 different Apisto spp. - try Riverfront, Pisces and Gold's. I know a few guys up here who breed Apistos (even I do from time-to-time), and I'd imagine there'd be a few people down there who do as well. Maybe ask around at the next club meeting.

• 1 month later...

I've got an update. Currently the tank is stocked with 3 corys, 1 oto, and 3 (unsexed) blue cheek apistos from Big Als, Calgary. Casualties to date include 1 oto and 7 beckford pencil fish. Any suggestions for some more dither fish (south american) that can handle the apisto tank mates? I would like to finish stocking the tank soon.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

What about giant danios? Fairly hardy fish but I have no experience with cichlids other than my sister's lil button ram who is in her community tank with tetras, platies, danios (zebra and giant) barbs, mollies and a giant betta

Goodmdither fish would be Giant Danios or even some of the larger tetras like Beunos Aires or Blood fin Tetras possibly full grown Silver Dollars. I have heard of people putting Bucktooth tetras in but I think there would be casulities on both sides then.