Ghost Shrimp- Need Help!

herpetology!

Hey,

I am planning on buying at least 10 ghost shrimp, but they are about 1/2 to 3/4 grown. A few questions:

-does it need filtration if I do frequent (ie up to ever other day) water changes?

-How much heating is best?

-How many can I put in a 2.5 gallon with some good topography (rocks and etc)?

I'd like to maximize this opportunity and ghost shrimp seem rare where I am (haven't seen them in a year), but I don't have a lot of money to pull of a nursery tank. Ideally, since I expect some die-off (sadly), I'd like to have about 5 in total in my 33 gallon newt tank, after they take their initial toll. Ghost shrimp have a yearlong survivability (well, so far 15 months) in this tank, if they get through the first 48 hours.

They DO need to get bigger, they need to be about max size or they will be sniped too easily.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks!!!

sponge filter is an air driven filter, Hydor is the most common make, you can find them at Big Al's or Aquarium Central. They are great in that they won't suck in shrimplets or fry.

WC is just a water change.

Ghost shrimp should do ok in room temp water.

Would I be able to get by without the filtration if I do regular (ie every day or other day) water changes? The bioload in the tank will be like 5-10 shrimps.

Also, will they grow faster with heating? I really want to get them in the newt tank (and now, into some goldfish tanks to help keep em cleaner) asap.

Edited by herpetology!

• 4 months later...

I would say eggs as well, but it may also be the "saddle" or just an organ. If it's behind the eyes on the back of the shrimp, and has a saddle shape, it's probably just that. It's like their egg sack before it get's fertilized.