Can I Re-Use Media After Meds?

JohnnyCustom

Ok...So I just had my first bout with Fin Rot and Cotton Wool on my Angels. I removed them from their home (100gl/Bare bottom/Driftwood) and set up a Hospital Tank with one of the filters to run it (Fluval 304) I had some good and some bad results from the experience.

The 100 gl’s filters have been cleaned (4 in total. 2 Cascade 1500’s and 2 Fluval 304’s) and I’m ready to go back to business as usual.

My question is this...Can I safely re-install my 304 on the 100gl that was previously running the hospital tank? According to the research I’ve done, the Meds I was using on the Hospital tank (Pimafix and Melafix) aren’t supposed to harm your system. Will I be ok using the media that was just through a Med treatment? I ‘m prepared to clean and drain the 304 again with water change water from the 100gl, then run it for a few days on it’s own. But if it’s going to be a waste of time and I should just chuck the media out, I will.

Any advice is welcome, from previous experience with Fin rot and treatment to re-using media.

Thanx.

It should be fine. The meds should gave killed any infectious stuff and they won't harm your bacteria, so good to go.

Sweet. I would hate to have to throw it out. I'm slowly building up my media to use in the new sump i built for the 175gl.

pimafix and melafix are considered pretty weak in the meds department. i would just add a bag of carbon to the top of your media stack if you are concerned at all about residual meds and plop that canister right back on your main tank.

potassium permanganate will kill off all the beneficial bacteria in your filters and on surfaces in your tank. i wouldn't suggest this route at all, as you will be essentially starting over with an uncycled tank. PP will also kill off snails in your tank, so if you want to keep your snails, don't use the stuff.

The Pimafix and Melafix meds are all natural ingredients so won't affect your bacteria colonies but if I use them I always add an air bubbler and crank it wide open as they both deplete the oxygen content of the water big time. That is the reason that often the fish look in distress and start gasping.

Yep - media is good to go. Some ich meds will kill some of your biomedia, so keep an eye on ammonia and/or nitrite spikes in the days following.