Otociclus

troni

I woke up this morning and for a good half hour before I left my otos where ripping around the entire tank. I've had them for about a month

could be a sign of mating,im not sure tho

i own 95-105 otto affinis,15 zebra ottos, 3 otto orange, they usually only show that kind of behavior when i walk/run up to my tank too quickly because their scared.

but i dont breed these guys,so i havent researched too too deeply into them, just enough to keep them happy and healthy.\

ill do a little reading about them

I don't think were scared! My tank definately has algae and they look full. From what I read could be mating. I have two what are the chances!

A female will be quite plump when she's ready to spawn, and a male will be a little more slender. If your two are different shapes, chances are pretty good you have a pair

• 2 weeks later...

so i kinda have an update. i switched my substrate from this hideous neon pink neon orange and black gravel to play sand from rona and my otos are loving it. i've never seen them so active all day. and theyre on the sand a hella lot more they are loving it. they are active in alot more of the tank aswell

No not yet. No eggs anywhere or babies yet I'm sure I have a female and male as female is waaay fatter. And one keeps trying to stick its head up the others rearend but as I just reliezed I don't know which one. Don't you breed?(sprucegrove) what do I look for?

im breeding/trying to breed alot of different stuff right now.

but i have never tried ottos.

i read they are extremely hard to breed in captivity.

i have had some large females like you,but they never got busy with a male.

but i have never had ottos in my tanks with the intent to breed,i have them to help clean the algae off my plants.

my advice,if you want to breed them is.

1. put them in a separate tank(heavily planted)(10-20gallon)

2.depending what otto you have do i biotope tank if possible.

3. feed them lots of veggies.

4. keep a journal.

Id like to. And they're in my tank for that reason too. I might try if I come across a 10g. Or when I get some extra cash to get one at big als. I'm trying to set up a cichlid right now. Ill keep posted.