Snake Val

troni

Some of the leaves on the snake val are starting to go see through? And red? Any ideas? I don't fertilize and I have one flora bulb and one sunglo.lights on from 12 to 14 hours

Val typically does OK w/o ferts (or newts ;)), so I'm guessing it's time to change out that ok bulb.

some poeple just dont know that much about plants but just like to hear them selves talk.

you cant believe everything a salesman tells you.

sorry if this came accross as rude or anything,that wasent the intention.

if your using t8 bulbs,you should probably replace you bulbs every 6 months, if you want optimal growth

and yes you should check out Flourish Comprehensive, it is easy to dose for people that are just getting into planted tanks.

but if you have a large tank, you will want to look into powder ferts,because using liquid ferts gets really expensive really fast on a big tank.

Edited by Sprucegruve

Vals are a true aquatic plant and take up the majority of nutrients through their roots, not their leaves. Root tabs or a better substrate will have them whipped into shape quickly. And probably new bulbs.

I learned this at the Calgary Aquarium Club meeting Tuesday....

Edited by Jayba

Jayba is bang on with his advice. My other thought is find some other source of plant advice, perhaps a good plant book, an aquarium club, etc. Though there's many excellent people in the lfs(and I don't want to knock them), not all of the employees are.Quite frankly, I do not have enough knowledge to answer all the questions that a lfs employee is asked and don't see how someone who has worked there for a couple of months can. As for the local clubs, they can tell you how that plant works in the local water and may be a source of more plants that are grown locally too.Good luck and let us know how it goes!!