Loaches - Dojo/weather And Kuhli

Iceturf

I used to have a pair of Dojo loaches - however I ended up selling them so that they would enjoy a larger home. I recall them being rather an interesting critter. I'm thinking about picking up some Kuhli loaches and or perhaps some young Dojo's, but not sure where I could get these guys. I know I looked a while back and no one seemed to have them. I'm also curious about Kuhli loaches, can anyone attest to their nature?

Edited by Iceturf

Aquarium Central should either have them in or be able to order some. I've seen them there many times, and they look really good. I've heard that the Kuhli's are peaceful and they're very active little buggers. Hard to catch, but really fun to watch. Aquarium Central has other really nice loaches as well :)

I think the Kuhli's are $2-3 each. Not sure about the others, but their prices there are pretty good. If you gave them a call I'm sure they'd be happy to give you prices and let you know what they all have. You could also send them a message on here :)

Thank you :) I got my 3 little apple snails from Sprucegruve. He's got a bunch right now, and they're so pretty. He actually has ivory colored ones, he was really nice and let me have one. They're great little snails to have. They're really pretty, and very easy to control with breeding. I love watching their little mouths scrape the glass for food!

I'm also curious about Kuhli loaches, can anyone attest to their nature?

th_P1180200.jpg

They are all about the playtime. Depending in the set-up, you may not spy them in your tank that often.

I would recomend buying them a dozen at a time.

I do not believe they will adress a snail problem; there are still MTS to be seen in there after years.

I do believe, however, they are keeping the red cherry shrimp population in check.

Edited by jewels

I had two in my 18gal community tank (unplanted at the time) about a century ago. They were like two farts in a mit. The ones I had were highly visible, playful, curious, entertaining to watch like keystone kops. Never saw them swim across mid tank; always along the glass, in the corners and along the bottom. They do know how to hide. I also had a pleco and a cory so I was concerned about feeding.

One went through my AquaClear Mini and lived. Yup! Found it underneath the filter carrier. A little banged up, but it wasn't diced or dead. I sill scratch my head over that one.

I like their markings and I'm a fan.

Thanks for the tip on where to find them DragonNecko. Never saw them in Big Al's when I was browsing there last month. I haven't been in to AC yet (don't get out much).

If you don't have many other fish, I think a dozen in a 20g would be great. Throw in a group of those gertrudae rainbows and you've got yourself a tank!!

If you don't have many other fish, I think a dozen in a 20g would be great. Throw in a group of those gertrudae rainbows and you've got yourself a tank!!

oh Wow! Those guys look neat. I wonder if they are that nice in person.

Edited by Iceturf

One went through my AquaClear Mini and lived. Yup! Found it underneath the filter carrier. A little banged up, but it wasn't diced or dead. I sill scratch my head over that one.

I like their markings and I'm a fan.

For a regular fish, through the filter may not be such a feat. But for a fish who's body is that of a living string, not being diced is a pretty major accomplishment. Yea i think their markings are neat too. Relatives think they look like a snake, but then again its my tank.

For a regular fish, through the filter may not be such a feat. But for a fish who's body is that of a living string, not being diced is a pretty major accomplishment. Yea i think their markings are neat too. Relatives think they look like a snake, but then again its my tank.

AC Mini impellor: 3600rpm, flow rate 100gpm... would spit out a 3" string in a second. I'm convinced kuhlis are part cat.

Edited by Fisher