Breeding L204 Flash Plecos

bryancatfish

i have recently purchased 4 emperor plecos and i wwouldlike to try and bred them. they are all of breeding ize and im prttty sure that i have 2 males and 2 females but im really having a hard time finding anything out online on how to reed these guys. i know that there are some hard core pleco people on this forum so im asking for some help in finding any information that could help. if anyone has ever succeeded in getting these guys to breed or if anyone has any information that might be helpful i really look forward to hereing from you

thanks

If you're going to find any solid info, I'd be looking at PlanetCatfish. They have a really good forum there, too. Do some reading, and find out who's been breeding them. :)

I second the planet catfish reading. Funny you post this, I was talking to Fairdeal today about the very same fish, breeding and sexing. Harold was telling me that females are very hard to find. Only10-20% of them are female. Good luck breeding them, they are a beautiful pleco.

There can be a ton of things you need to do to fool a pleco into thinking it's time to mate, especially if it is wild caught. Some plecos don't like to be disturbed, and should be placed in a quiet spot, and don't like decorations etc messed with.

Today I dropped a second male into a tank, and boom, action. Having other fish in a tank breeding can trigger breeding of other tank inhabitance due to pheromones from the breeding fish. Some plecos mate at specific times of the year, when food is plentiful, faster water flow, water is softer, barametric pressure, days are longer or shorter(can't remember), specific food is available etc. Planetcatfish is a great resource, and a miriad of other sites, do your research and someday, when you least expect it, they may breed. lol

Edited by Jayba

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They are now about 3 1/2 to 4" but i still cant make out male from female. they seem to be creating dens in the sand substrate underneath all my driftwood . i currently have them in a community south american tank with lots of flat rock and driftwood the PH is around 7 with alot of flow in the water. I dont know if the dens are a sign of breeding but i am hopeful. but if they are around 8" i dont think that they are sexually mature enough to breed just yet. I have another 90 gallon tank that i want to use for them but i have to et rid of 3 red belly piranhas first so if anyone is interested ill sell em for 100.00 for the trio. preds arent really my thing.