Starting A Cichlid Tank

AJanzen

Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to set up a tank in my daughter's room (she's just under a year) as she absolutely loves the other tanks we have in the house. Wanted to set up something with bright, colourful, active, fish. Was originally thinking of a discus tank but have been steered away from them due to their sensitivity. I have a 55gallon sitting around waiting to be filled and am just looking for some suggestions on setting up a cichlid tank and some of the more colourful breeds to put in it for my daughter's enjoyment. Also, I don't really want any fish that are going to get more than 4-5 inches in length as I would like a decent amount of fish in the tank.

Thanks everyone.

My money is on an African cichlid tank, Lake Malawi cichlids in particular. I'd go with 6-10 Pseudotropheus Saulosi's (the dominant males look like Demasonis and the females are yellow like Electric Yellows) and 6-10 Strawberry Red Peacocks.

If you want color and personality, this mix gives you yellows, blues, and reds. Additionally you get all the interesting behavior that goes along with these little guys. Oh and maybe a common pleco for your clean-up crew (kids tend to love the sleek look of plecos, I know my daughter does!).

Hope this helps.

One of the easiest tanks I've set up for myself and others is a group of Electric Yellows, a group of Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos, and possibly a group of Rusties. These are all relatively peaceful as far as African cichlids go, and they're all quite different, so there is virtually no chance of hybridization.

One of the best looking tanks I put together had these fish (less the Rusties) in a tank where I stacked halved terra cotta pots and grew Java Fern on them. I stacked the pots up the entire back wall, and the stark contrast in colors of fish, decor and plants was awesome!

high quality red zebras are great in a mbuna tank, and for me a must, bright reddish orange coloration is a great stand out in the tank and compliments blue mbuna as acei , mainganos and msobos. Electric yellows are nice for the splash of yellow , although several species have yellow females such as the saulosi and msobo. Kenyis are another great colored one, they are a little more aggressive but if you crowd the tank things are fine, the females are light blue with dark blue stripes and the males are yellow....so a group of 12 females and a couples males is quite nice.