Your Opinion,florabase

Sprucegruve

so in my planted tanks i use 1/4-1/3 black florite sand and 3/4-2/3 playground sand

i find this works very well for me,with or without ferts

but in my planted shrimp tanks i use no black florite....i only use playground sand.

a friend in bc told me to try florabase substrate for my shrimps what does everything think of this stuff?

does it affect my water in any ways?or will it kill my shrimps?

how hard is it to maintain the tank with this substrate?(water changes)

he diddent really have many good reasons for me to switch to the other substrate,other than the ''playground sand is dirty'',and ''florabase will bring out the colors in my shrimp better''.

i clean the quickcrete playground sand before use,my water quality and good food make my shrimp look great,so why change substrate?

i like the look of my sand,and it hasent done me wrong yet.

what is everyones opinion about this stuff?

Black sand is hard to come by at a decent price, but it does make the colors on shrimp cone out nice.

http://www.aquatic-e...d-aquarium.html some info on substrates and a warning about aquaflora..

I don't agree with everything that is wrote on the page but the breakdown of aquaflora is confirmed.

So you have had it break down into mush on you?

I have it in a couple of my tanks and just tore down a 40 gallon breeder and transferred some of it into a 15 gallon and it was fine; some of it broke down but the majority >95% is fine. It will affect your pH, lowering it to ~6.5. I'm not planning to plant anything in the tanks I use it as I am going to replace it every year as it's ability to lower the pH diminishes.

I probably won't use it in the future as ADA is now available. Black or very dark substrates are usually credited for making shrimps reds pop.

Ron

Edited by Ron

http://www.aquatic-e...d-aquarium.html some info on substrates and a warning about aquaflora..

I don't agree with everything that is wrote on the page but the breakdown of aquaflora is confirmed.

So you have had it break down into mush on you?

I have it in a couple of my tanks and just tore down a 40 gallon breeder and transferred some of it into a 15 gallon and it was fine; some of it broke down but the majority >95% is fine. It will affect your pH, lowering it to ~6.5. I'm not planning to plant anything in the tanks I use it as I am going to replace it every year as it's ability to lower the pH diminishes.

I probably won't use it in the future as ADA is now available. Black or very dark substrates are usually credited for making shrimps reds pop.

Ron

Ya I used it in a farm tank. I moved a lot of plants in and out.. It started getting mushy after a year..

ada is by far the best commercial substrate available...too bad its not available in Edmonton...

Edited by ubr0ke