Diy Co2 Injector (Paintball, Not Pop Bottle)

nathan

So I was looking around today at some Co2 injectors. I can't believe how much they cost. Ideally, I was wanting on that would connect to a paintball tank, but the only one I was able to find locally was $200. I currently have a Fluval pressurized kit and for now have just made something like that. I'll be adding a gauge and such later on if I need to. I figured there's got to be a cheaper way to go than to buy the $200 kit though. Here's my results...

Tube to MIP elbow with Insert - $3.99

SAM_0052.jpg

Compression needle valve - $5.19

SAM_0053.jpg

1/4 X 20' Clear vinyl tubing - $5.19

SAM_0054.jpg

Connector for paintball tank - $20.00 (From Prevost Paintball in Edmonton Alberta)

SAM_0058.jpg

Leatherman tool - $40 (Ok, I didn't really NEED this, but I WANTED it)

SAM_0062.jpg

The final product...

SAM_0063.jpg

Total cost for actual needed supplies - $34.37

Now I know there is no solenoid on here, I will be looking into adding one as well. Basically, I'm just re-creating the Fluval system to use a paintball tank instead of a $25 Co2 cartridge.

If the paintball canister already has a gauge on it to know when it's getting low, I think you've got all that you need! Nicely done! :thumbs:

I would honestly suggest putting a regulator on that. If your needle valve or something else clogs for any reason you have a bomb under your tank..

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/general-planted-tank-discussion/155384-my-co2-line-exploded.html

exact same setup as you have.

I would honestly suggest putting a regulator on that. If your needle valve or something else clogs for any reason you have a bomb under your tank..

I have a propensity to over-engineer... will an inline regulator (fixed orifice) work ubr0ke? I've only seen regulators for peumatic cylinders/tools. http://www.homedepot...e-1-4-in/902681

Having a gauged air regulator (placed between your needle valve and tank) will tell you what your regulated pressure is nathan. A different purpose than having a gauge on your tank (though useful too!). If an inline regulator isn't adequate, then add a pr of tube to 1/4" NPT (or 1/8 NPT).

Edited by Fisher

ok so I've tossed away all the supplies I had prior and have gone with a different method. Here's the pics.

SAM_0067.jpg

SAM_0068.jpg

SAM_0070.jpg

The old hose had a burst pressure of around 300 PSI, the new hose is around 700 PSI. I've added a regulator ($20 at Princess auto, God I LOVE that store), and I'll be adding a needle valve somewhere before the tank. I've got the hose attached to a brass barb without a clamp so that if the needle valve fails or gets blocked, it SHOULD pop the hose off the barb rather than blow the hose.

Edited by nathan

co2 tanks are 900-1200 psi...

honestly not to kill your momentum but I could help you piece together a 2 stage high purity gas regulator, solenoid, and decent needle valve. for 120 bucks...thats a lab quality setup with no worries..

a 2 stage high purity gas regulator, solenoid, and decent needle valve. for 120 bucks...thats a lab quality setup with no worries..

thumbup.gif

Poor quality line components (and applying teflon tape below pipe threads) can throw debris into your air circuit and cause the problem you're trying to avoid by adding a regulator in the first place nathan. A 20oz paintball tank will produce an fairly impressive sneeze compared to a 20g or 80g CO2 cartridge. ;)

Edited by Fisher